Wanted to ask which fish is worth breeding? Intermediate class.

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Welcome to Life, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Welcome to Life

Welcome to Life

Hey fish friends, wanted to ask what you guys thoughts were when wanting to start breeding. I've done a few fish before. any ideas drop a comment XD

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

That all depends on your definition of "worth"!

For some people, it's worth it to bring money back into their hobby, or even generate some profit. So fish that are worth it to them are those that sell easily (your very common fish), or those that fetch high retail prices.

For others, worth is what brings them joy from undertaking a breeding project. It might be a fish that they've never bred before, or a fish that has been known to be a challenge to breed in captivity. Some get enjoyment from watching their fish be parents, or the other behaviours that tie into fish spawning.

I only started trying my hand at breeding (at least, more seriously) very recently, and for me it was both the challenge of learning how to successfully raise fry, and to broaden my experience with new groups of fish that I hadn't considered keeping before. Each new breeding project (hopefully) brings new challenges.

The step into intermediate, I feel, is to step out of your comfort zone. Look at the fish you've successfully bred so far, and try something completely different from those. Look at different families of fishes, or fish from different regions, or those that use different spawning strategies to your current fish breeding
    résumé.

Keep us updated on your choices.

MariaS likes this.
  4. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Its always worth breeding fish - giving back to the hobby in a way rather than just being a consumer. Well thats my opinion anyway.

5. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

I think @SalmonAfrica has pretty much put it in a nutshell..

Keep us posted on your adventures

6. Ammar

Ammar

+1 @SalmonAfrica ,
    I would probably add to that to limit yourself at startup to a couple species, and make sure you have the infrastructure and most importantly the time to care for your tanks.
    ( and if you are married, a happy wife ... very NB!!!)

also make sure you have something ready to feed your fry when required.. I have infusoria brewing on the window sill and micro worm ( all I need now is fry :p)

good luck and keep posting!!

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I have bred many types of fish ranging from common & easy to rare and a bit more difficult.

For me the big issue is what to do with the fry once they have grown on a bit.
    I know most of the lfs in my area quite well and they would take some off me. But that all depended on how quickly they could move them on.
    I didn't want a bunch of strangers turning up at my house to collect. And shipping was a venture I didn't want to get into
    So I was often left with tanks of fish that I really didn't want.

@Welcome to Life - I would choose something that doesn't "breed like a rabbit", and where there will be a fairly high demand for the youngsters.

8. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Unless its a rabbit snail. Breed those. They are awesome

Recent Posts