Water Change routine

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chandz, May 15, 2019.

1. Chandz

Chandz

How often and what percentage do you change a week?

Eg. Rachel O'Leary does a small WC everyday VS Goerge Farmer who does 70% WC once a week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

70% every two weeks due to time constraints, or weekly on my small tanks. Depends on stocking and feeding etc

4. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Depends what you keep and what your bio load is, how big the tank is, how good your filtration is etc

5. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

Yes I know there's many factors to consider. I was just interested to see what people's WC routine was and maybe why they did it that way.

6. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

Have you ever lost any fish doing bigger WCs?

7. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

On my tank at least four times a week, about 80% at a time due to keeping Discus and the food I feed them.

20190427_165601~2.jpg

Adam, BEARZ, MariaS and 2 others like this.
  8. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

Oh wow! I honestly wouldn't be able to keep that up. I envy your commitment. Your tank and fish are absolutely stunning by the way!

Saibot and Nico Hamman like this.
  9. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Thank you. It takes me no more than 40 minutes at a time. It includes syphoning the substrate.

10. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

You must have a very efficient system. If you don't mind, can you please walk me through your process.

Once my other tank is ready, I'll have to do WC on a 800l tank (including sump) which I'd love to do it as quick as possible.

11. BradK

BradK

I will not be keeping discus anytime soon. I do one water change week, about 40%. For now Ill just have to admire this beautiful tank.

Nico Hamman likes this.
  12. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

[​IMG]

Every few months .. at the moment it is more just top-up on evapouration. PS guppies are sleeping - just switched the tank on for a quick pic.

Later Ferdie

T. Guppy, BradK and Innocent159 like this.
  13. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

This one ... less need for a top-up ... 3 - 4 months the norm or something like that.

[​IMG]

Later Ferdie

14. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

[​IMG]

Same here ... so the question is maybe not when to do a WC - but why ... for me it is about a reset of the water column to a better known state. I do TDS checks so see how "polluted" or depleted the water column is.

My view just doing a WC because that is the routine is dangerous, and probably leads to more instability in a thank over time if one does not know why you are doing it.

Later Ferdie

15. AmithS

AmithS

Stunning as always, does the tds (how polluted) give you an indication of build up of organic matter that causes algae like bba?

16. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

All your tanks are amazing! I love how natural they look and densely planted they are! Do you use CO2?

17. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

That's very interesting perspective.

WC are also important to replace trace elements and minerals in the water. Which if not replaced, among other things, will cause the pH to drop. So is that also one of the things you test for, to indicate that it's time for a WC?

18. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

TDS is just a measure of stuff that cause the conductivity ... "Dissolved solids" refer to any minerals, salts, metals, cations or anions dissolved in water." So for drinking water - https://www.water-research.net/index.php/water-treatment/tools/total-dissolved-solids in our tanks a high TDS is nohing more than a measure of change - what that means or what your corrective action is needs to be read with the rest of the healt of the tank. To this day the smell of your water tells you loads - green grass is better than no smell and way better than a fishy smell.

My observations ...

Fishy smell + much higher than normal TDS: something is dead or is busy dying - BIG WC no questions asked - fix the temp on the way into the tank clean filter media.
    Fishy smell + normal TDS: - aeration or increased a change in light period could be needed, that does not work - check flow in the tank - clean canisters.
    No smell + 20% TDS swings during the day: adjust your fertz tank is running on empty.
    No smell + lower than normal TDS ( assume it is not after a WC) increase fertz
    Green grass + 5% TDS swing :spot on, your plants should be loving you.
    Green grass + high TDS - tap back on dosing skip a day or two see what happens to the TDS.
    and so the list goes on. Not hard and fast but it is part of my observations.

I have seen all sorts of TDS with BBA in the tanks - I would say look elsewhere for BBA - not saying a good WC is not part of the BBA fight but TDS as a sole indicator will not work for me.

Honesty I have no clue what my pH is - it seems to be the first thing we want to measure yet it is the least understood over the daily cycle since few have the luxury to log it regularly. I am not doing CO2 at the moment not trying to get great speedy growth so aeration at JNB altitude is my equilibrium strategy for CO2 in the water column. You are correct the tanks are densely planted but they have grown in that way over time ;-) for a new tank plant as much green as you can and figure out what you are wanting as it matures. The more constant O2 in the tank also seems to help with an anti- BBA.

A WC can be seen as the big hammer that is needed cause your tank is not a healthy ecosystem - either you are pushing something too hard ( like amount of fish) or volume or Fertz etc but that is OK ... a WC is your cheapest dupa to keeping things constant while you work on establishing a healthy balance in the tank. Do not switch from regular tank maintenance with loads of WC slots to nothing overnight ... one needs to stretch and adapt to find that lower maintenance rhythm if that is your goal. If your goal is the have max stock or max growth then yes WC weekly are probably your sanity check point. Some fish just need it ...

Later Ferdie

PS - the past year leads me to believe that organic buildup, probably means you tank bacteria is not in balance - this could mean that you are feeding BBA growth because the bacteria that signals BBA and supplies it with B12 ( think that was the story ) is flourishing. This is all in another thread on TASA.

19. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

Thank you for that interesting and insightful information! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

20. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

I'm not losing fish to bigger WC, but Cape town is dosing chloramine in skme areas so I must be vigilant

21. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I think the biggest killer of BIG WC - other than cl is temp ... but this is for bigger tanks not small nano .. they just a no no for a BIG WC.

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts