Water change - Water preperation

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AmithS, May 11, 2018.

1. AmithS

AmithS

Hello,

As I have started keeping smaller tanks requiring smaller water changes since my Arowana passing. I am looking for some tips on water change preparation.

• How long can prepared water be kept standing with no movement before use
    • Best way to add water conditioner using a 20 litre bucket - add conditioner first, when bucket is filling or at the end of filling
    • I use prime and currently 20 litre buckets - whats the best way to dose prime for small quantities of water
    • Any other tips and tricks welcome
    Thanks,

2. Guest

3. TrevorR

TrevorR

I would suggest you get a 200 litre plastic water drum, add a 300w heater and just a smallish water pump to circulate the water. It's best to place the return above the water level to oxygenate it and continually breaking the miniscus. This is important for proper gas exchange. Then generously add your prime and then mature for no less than one day, the longer the better, temperature perfect!

BoelderBeestie likes this.
  4. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

Thanks @TrevorR I will look into your method. Sounds alot easier than my current way of doing things o_O

TrevorR likes this.
  5. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

TrevorR likes this.
  6. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

So what do you guys and gals think about seachem prime vs scape dechlorinator?

I've only used prime so far with good results on both large and small volumes of water. With treatment of water both in bucket before adding to my aquariums and directly into my larger aquariums treating the full tank volume. Using prime for 10 years now. Scape products recently caught my eye in a lfs.

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

We have also been using Prime or Safe for years

Safe goes a longer way as its more concentrated, but it does not neutralize heavy metals like Prime is said to do
    I have to admit that both being such good products, with the fish we keep, I wont change to anything else unless I don't have a choice

We only have big tanks.. we fill straight from the tap and add the Prime or Safe straight to the tank

As for dosing Prime to small amounts of water,

"Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new water. For smaller volumes, please note each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

eros111 likes this.
  8. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Been using Prime for many years and have found it to be very good and economical
    Never come across Scape.

9. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

Thanks for all the replies. I saw Scape in an lfs cannot remember which one. They have a full range of plant ferts etc...

10. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

1ml to 50L water ratio for treatment with Scape - will stick to prime as I have tons of it still - as mentioned it goes a long way!

11. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Get a small syringe at clicks, you waste less with it than using the caps.

MariaS likes this.
  12. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

Yeah I got a syringe a few weeks back for R3. Only thing is I have the 500ml prime which is past the half empty mark so I still pour it into the cap and then draw with the syringe.

Looking for a small easy to use container with the syringe- then will decant to it ...

Unless you guys have some tricks I could try?

13. TrevorR

TrevorR

Lucky me, I don't need to spend the money on these products as my borehole water is chlorine free! :)

14. Jaco83

Jaco83

Pop a piece of air tubing on the front of the syringe long enough to reach the bottom. Once you have the required amount inside the syringe, keep the hose inside the bottle, and pop it off. The tubing will drain back into the container.

Super Sywurm likes this.
  15. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

@Jaco83 thanks bud - thats an excellent tip :thumbup:

16. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

Did you get the borehole water tested before using it in your tank? and if so what parameters did you test for?

I also have borehole water at current - cannot remember exactly when - long time ago I read that borehole water was not good for aquariums for a whole lot of reasons and needed to be tested etc... etc... so I kept with tap water as I could not get enough info on using it successfully

17. Pezulu

Pezulu

Borehole water could contain many minerals and metals.

I have also been using Seachem Prime for many years, and although there are other products on the market, none of them do what Prime does.
    Some neutralise chlorine, but not chloramine, while others will do both but not heavy metals.
    One Prime does them all.

18. TrevorR

TrevorR

I have installed an industrial sand filter. Water is of very high quality very rich in minerals magnesium and calcium etc. Ph over 8, perfect for my tanganyikans. My industrial sand filter will collect any heavy metals, all hard graft but I am pretty lucky now!20170629_160945.jpg

19. TrevorR

TrevorR

To give an idea of size, the filter vessel holds four 40kg bags of filter sand. The Green pump is for backwash only at 2.5 kw. It has to be very strong in order to lift the 160kg of filter sand. The unit is connected to my 50 000 litre reservoir. It was a big and expensive exercise, but well worth it in the long run!

20. TrevorR

TrevorR

21. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I do the same except I checked how much the tube holds and compensate.

Jaco83 likes this.

Recent Posts