Water changes

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Thomas Tim, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Thomas Tim

Thomas Tim Active Member

If I had very few fish with little bioload, could I do a water change every two weeks because my LFS says they do monthly

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Details of tank size, filter, type of fish and if you have life plants in your tank will be helpfull

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

f-fish likes this.
  4. Aqua man

Aqua man Active Member

It depends on your fert dosing if for instance you are dosing EI i would do a weekly water change basically a must. if not then with a small bioload good filtration you can get away with a water change every two weeks

5. OP
    Thomas Tim

Thomas Tim Active Member

I don't have the tank now but I am planning to have 2bn pleco, 2 angels, 6 Cori cats, 12xray tetras and a couple neons. Tank size 89gallons. Amazon swords, micro sword, anubias, wisteria, java fern, crypts, Phoenix moss

6. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica The Bat

It would still depend on a number of factors. The plants will help a bit in dealing with the natural waste products that necessitate water changes, but they don't remove the responsibility altogether in this case. The type of filter you plan on running (or multiple filters, if you like) will determine the capacity of your system to deal with most of the waste products.

You'd also need to think about the amount you'd want to change. 10% to 50% are all regular amounts to change in a tank. The goal of a water change, ultimately, is to get your nitrate levels down to acceptable, livable levels. Some monitoring of your tank over time would help determine what is necessary and how often.

Back when I had quite a few tanks running, I changed every two weeks, and did about 30% on each system. Most of my tanks were stocked fairly well, though, and most had at least 2 filters running.

Regards,

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  7. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

I would say if doing every 2 weeks bigger is better. Due to water shortages I'm doing one 80% about every 3 weeks and feeding less than usual

The amount of filtration doesn't matter as long as it handles all ammonia and nitrite

8. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

Thomas , if you can get the balance right you do not need to do any WC since the plants will take what they need .. we do WC because we are always in a hurry pushing things the grow at top rate, or the fish need to breed so we feed food that is good but maybe a different type would produce less waist.

Hendre ... 80% every 3 weeks ? Hope not, surely if you insist on doing WC then 20% every week would be the same amount of water but less of a shock factor to your fish and plants.
    "The amount of filtration doesn't matter" - hmmm no wrong .. you do not just have filtration just for "ammonia and nitrite" actually you can get away with no filtration if you had a well stocked - plants - tank .. but we like crystal clear water so having mechanical filtration does help.

Aqua man ... correct "dosing EI i would do a weekly water change basically a must" - that is because that is the basis of EI .. i.e. you overdose on everything and then reset the tank with a WC. So EI is the exact opposite of PPS-Pro see https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

If you are hard pushed to not do WC's then look at things like purigen - expensive but it can stretch your WC needs - not ideal .. but that said and before you rush out to go and buy some, can you answer the why? Why do you need to do a WC then one can start at that point to look at alternative or providing some practical guidance based on what has / is working.
    upload_2017-6-18_13-25-47.png
    Thomas I see your location is MIA on your profile so in reality nobody should be giving you any advice since esp with WC it is so water source dependant.

Later Ferdie

Greenbean32 and fishanatic like this.
  9. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

Ferdie i keep polypterus and such, 20% once a week will give me nitrate creep :(

10. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

so your reason for not doing WC more regularly are nitrate creep - can you think of a better way to deal with nitrate than doing a 80% WC .. if You try that in GP the chances are you will be at the LFS restocking your tank once a month ... 80% can be a big shock to the tank .. CT guys lucky in some sense when it comes to water hardness.

Later Ferdie

fishanatic likes this.
  11. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

Thomas since you are my neighbour - thanks for the PM .. pleas do not just do 80% WC's the chances are rather good that you will do some damage to these guys "2 angels, 6 Cori cats, 12xray tetras and a couple neons"

Later Ferdie

Hendre likes this.
  12. OP
    Thomas Tim

Thomas Tim Active Member

Ok thanks

13. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

It's due to the water shortage. Used to be 50% weekly and to keep my buffering capacity full. My fish are quite tough generally so I think it's okay

Hard water? Ferdie gives good advice, what works for me won't work for all

14. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

fishanatic likes this.
  15. Super Sywurm

Super Sywurm Active Member

I do +- a third water change every 2-3 weeks. I also just top up the water that evaporates.

16. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

100% that is a good rule of thumb .. esp the bit about doing top-ups, regular tops seem to provide a more stable environment esp when the rest is under control then this really is all that is needed. BTW for what tanks are these ... well planted or not?

Later Ferdie

17. Super Sywurm

No plants, 30l, 60l and 120l tanks.

18. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

Shot ... thanks for the reply, yeah even the 120l is not too bad on a 30% WC ... hope you watering the garden with the swop.

Later Ferdie

19. Super Sywurm

Most of my grey water goes to the garden and grass.

f-fish likes this.
  20. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

I have a heavily planted tank, but I'm barely dosing anything at all. I'm just worried that with the soft water here that the buffering capacity will be used up and there'll be a PH drop, aka old tank syndrome

My fish still have a lot of growing to do and I may have to remove plants and stuff one day for space if they don't uproot it themselves. @f-fish my thinking is that with consistent large changes very little chemistry change will take place so it won't be as large as a shock, tbh I think 50% a week is much better than an 80% every third week but the water restrictions are kinda leaving me at that for now

21. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

How is your water restriction calculated ?

don't you mean ... consistent small changes very little chemistry ...

Later Ferdie

fishanatic likes this.

Recent Posts