What to stock? Help a fella out please

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by CJ Fish, Feb 8, 2017.

1. CJ Fish

CJ Fish

Evening All

I am starting up a second tank this weekend, and want to start looking into what I want to keep in it once cycled. The tank is a custom 80 x 35 x 55 which I believe makes it around 150l.

I would dearly like to put some Discus, but between that and my 180l I will probably have to keep that dream on ice till I have a bigger setup. My 180l has South American sp, so I'm thinking maybe Asian for the new one?

I have some Dragon rock that I want to use, and will probably put some plants with it - not too sure what I want to do yet. Don't really want to go the Cichlid route. Is the tank too small for Oscars? Or maybe some Betta and Danio and Clouds? It seems a bit "common" though - guess I'm fussy considering my limited space and want to have maximum visual appeal and possibly unusual if I can

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Guest

3. RuanJ

RuanJ

Your tank will be great for a couple of angles maby a few convicts even.
    Other options are gouramies, killifish, large school of neons and rainbow fish

4. Pezulu

Pezulu

Rainbow fish are popular, but grow to about 10cm.
    You won't be able to keep too many of them.
    Perhaps some Boesemani Rainbow or Iridus Red Rainbow, with a school of about 10 Harlequin Rasbora or similar.

You could also try an African biotype, with just driftwood, some Anubias, and add an African Bush Fish and Congo Tetras.

5. OP
    CJ Fish

CJ Fish

Thanks @Pezulu some really good suggestions there. How many Rainbows can I keep in that size tank? At 10cm I doubt I will go for them if I can't keep enough. Red-line torpedo barbs and Harlequins maybe? What else? I'm a little worried the colours are too close though

Thanks @RuanJ, I am not a huge fan of Angels, but the other options are pretty much what I had in mind. Neons I have in the SA tank, want to try and keep Asian with Asian and SA with SA. Ideally I need some feature fish too, pity Betta and Gourami limits ones options there

6. Pezulu

Pezulu

The tank you are planning is a bit smaller than a standard 3ft tank and will be close on 90 litres.
    You could go the "common" route as you described, although it is only common because those fish are so popular.
    I have never really liked Neons, but a school of about 25 could give a stunning display.
    The same with Harlequin Rasbora, or any of the other colourful fish that may catch your eye at your local LFS.

In my 4ft I have 8 Rainbows (Boesemani, Katuba and Red Iridus), together with 10 Harlequins, 4 Swordtails, 5 Angels, 4 Ancistrus and 4 Khuli loaches.

You can overstock a bit, as long as you have good filtration, do regular tank maintenance and keep up with your water changes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  7. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

On the Rainbow side you can rather look at the smaller species, Neon dwarf, Threadfin, Spotted Blue eyes, al of them looks very nice in a school of 15 to 20

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. OP
    CJ Fish

CJ Fish

So, I did the tank today. Thought I want to do a planted tank, but after putting black gravel and dragon rock, I'm starting to think maybe not. Is this tank too small for cichlids? I have attached the one I am considering, please give me an ID? Someone sent it to me once, and I cant recall the name to research it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

9. OP
    CJ Fish

CJ Fish

So, just an update - I am still researching, but it is getting more and more difficult. I am considering putting my betta in this tank, together with some golden white clouds, galaxy rasbora (if I can find them) and harlequin rasbora. I am however concerned that the tank might be too deep for the betta - anybody have any experience with a betta 60cm deep?

I saw some green barbs at a lfs this weekend, and quite like them. What are my options as far as a barb tank is concerned? If I opt for this, I obviously would not keep them with the betta, as I suppose they will cause problems for him? What other barbs/fish can I keep together?

10. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Have you considered shrimps? Ad a few tall plants at the back and it will be a perfect shrimp tank.

11. OP
    CJ Fish

CJ Fish

@BoelderBeestie thanks, but I prefer fish over the selection of shrimp available in Durban. I might look at a combination of the two if possible

12. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes it's possible, I have hundreds with my guppies. I really like the galaxy rasboras, if you can find them like you said.

Rainstorm likes this.
  13. OP
    CJ Fish

CJ Fish

Do you think my my tank is too high for a betta @BoelderBeestie? It is 55cm high - I note the flow from the filter is quite strong, and given the dimensions I suspect the tank is not ideal for a fish that prefers shallow water with "calmer" flow

14. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I don't know, I have never kept them. Will go see if I find anything on them.

I did some reading and the depth doesn't seem to be a problem, a little current also won't do harm, it shouldn't be a strong current. You can aim your filter inlet towards the glass if you see him struggle. Some plants will also make him feel secure. Honestly I think he'll be fine.

This is just off google so lets see what the people say that actually keep them.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Rainstorm likes this.
  15. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Plants!!! Sorry I couldn't resist saying that...

Have a look at the apistogramma species - really nice looking fish

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

CJ Fish and BoelderBeestie like this.
  16. a3aan99

a3aan99

My Tank is around 50 cm deep and my betta does quite well. He does tend to sit around the top of the tank and prefers the quiet/calm spots in the tank but he dives to the bottom regularly.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Rainstorm likes this.
  17. OP
    CJ Fish

CJ Fish

Thanks @Rainstorm, I have quite a few Anubius and swords in the tank now.

@a3aan99 thanks for the info, it helps

Rainstorm likes this.
  18. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Try getting some ferns too. Check my cube out - 40cm x 40cm

[​IMG]

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

19. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

I love my school of 9 rosy barbs, the only thing is they are super aggressive eaters and picked a dead guppy clean in a half hour or so.

This sounds kinda common, but male fancy guppies are awesome and lots of fun to watch, they also will have nice contrast with the bright colours.
    Various tetras will work, and possibly a pair of kribensis if going for tetras or barbs

20. lithosza

lithosza KilliNut

My choices would be:
    Some killifish species such as Fundulopanchax sjoestedti
    or
    A few dwarf puffers

CJ Fish likes this.
  21. OP
    CJ Fish

CJ Fish

Thank you everyone for your comments - the possibilities are endless! I think I am going to let the tank cycle and sleep on it some more......

Rainstorm likes this.

Recent Posts