When is CO2 and expensive lights needed?

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by PappaBear, Jun 28, 2021.

1. PappaBear

PappaBear

Hi guys

I will be setting up a large tank (2m x 60cm x 60cm), which I want to do planted. I will run a 2m x 43cm x 47cm sump. I will have 4 of these lights on top (see pics).

Can you guys please help with what plants will work given:

Running a sump (carbon dioxide dispersion)
    These lights
    No CO2 system.

Thanks for the help. I want to do a planted tank, but the priority is the fish, so will be running a sump.

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 2.33.13 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 12.46.00 PM.jpeg

2. Guest

3. fux940510

fux940510

You can get quite a few plants to grow healthily without any CO2. A few that come to mind:
    Anubias
    Java Fern
    Bolbitis Heudelotii
    Cryptocorynes (basically all of them, Crypt Wendtii does particularly well in my experience)
    Amazon swords
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Rotala Colorata
    Hydrocotyle Tripartita
    Hemianthus Micranthemoides
    Staurogyne repens
    Christmas moss
    Java moss

If you can, get a nutrient rich substrate like Langa or ADA Aquasoil, as well as some kind of liquid fertiliser. Those will help your plants get everything they need to grow, besides CO2

A new day likes this.
  4. OP
    PappaBear

PappaBear

Thanks a lot for this proper reply!

fux940510 likes this.
  5. A new day

A new day Moderator

6. Kendrick

Kendrick

Ludwigia repens also grows very well in low-tech setups.

A new day likes this.
  7. Jason182

Jason182

I'm using 2 x 90 cm cheapo led submersible lights in a 300L tank, I set the colour to white and when I just started my tank I used seachem flourish once a week until the bottle was done, since then, roughly 5 months ago my plants are doing well, but my vallisneria has gone mental, to the point where I've had to pull half of it out of my tank as it was just taking over.IMG_20210630_191408.jpg IMG_20210630_190632.jpg IMG_20210630_184930.jpg IMG_20210630_191408.jpg

A new day, rsa and Shabir like this.
  8. Alan Muller

Alan Muller

I started two no-CO2 tanks using the Walstad method (so no expensive aquasiols but instead used good ol' garden soil with a gravel cap). Both grew great plants and I have had tremendous success with dwarf hair grass, amazon sword, java fern, Cryptocoryne red and limnophila sessiliflora. My Christmas moss is also plodding away but has a rather bad case of BBA (might be related to no-CO2? I don't know).

A new day likes this.
  9. Prishiel

Prishiel

I use ada soil and scape. My plants go crazy. I always make it a basic rule when growing plants.

10. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

CO2 is not a must if you plan on going low-tech. There's many plants that'll do just fine in it...some are listed in the thread above. I've done plenty of low-tech tanks in the past and it looked great. But if you want that lush & compact plant look, as well as fuller colour & growth (ie, how it's supposed to grow out), then CO2 is an absolute must. Low-tech looks stunning in its own lane, as does high-tech...it really just comes down to your personal preference.

11. OP
    PappaBear

PappaBear

The biggest reason i am considering non co2 is because i was told that if you run a sump the co2 just gets dispersed to the point that it has no effect. If that is not the case then i will gladly go co2

12. fux940510

fux940510

Some CO2 will disperse, but if you run a CO2 reactor rather than a diffuser then it will be more efficient. This is in comparison to a canister filter, which is effectively closed off. There are quite a few guides online on how to build a reactor, in case you're interested

13. Innocent159

Innocent159

Not to hijack the thread but does this include increased water surface movement? With a closed system you can have increased surface movement without significant co2 lose?

14. fux940510

fux940510

I'm not sure - my gut response says yes, but any kind of surface movement will drop your levels of dissolved CO2. A sump will lose more purely because you increase the exposed surface area of the water, especially if you have a sump with lots of baffles. A canister filter will lose less, because of less exposed surface area. You'd have to experiment and see what happens - getting some kind of accurate CO2 check (liquid test or, even better, some kind of pH controller/monitor) will be best as drop checkers aren't exactly precise.

Innocent159 likes this.
  15. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Go in-line co2 from the sump's outlet...that ought to do the job sufficiently.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Recent Posts