1.8 meter stand - build

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by f-fish, Jun 19, 2010.

1. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Ok - been looking at the plan and cutting list for a while - decided to go and get the measuring tape and do a few extra checks. Optimised some lengths and used the remainders to cut extra legs. Also allowed for 5 mm cuts ... Its a total of 40 cuts !!!!

Needless to say the plan is just a rough guide :blink1:

cutting list v2.jpeg

2. Guest

3. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Got the steel this afternoon, spend a while with the grinder preparing it. Stand is going to be heavy ... 50 kg.
    [​IMG]

Decided to do some welding .. got 70% done but stopped since I am sure the surrounding residents did not want to hear grinding early evening.

First time I've done welding on 3 mm tube - what a pleasure. (only the legs are 3 mm rest is 2mm - all they had)

[​IMG]

4. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

F-Fish... looking good mate.

Now please enlighten me... what work do you do that allows you to get so many afternoons off to work on fish stuff. I'm obviously in the wrong industry... and how do you get your wife to allow you so much spare time to "fish"

5. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Thx Zoom - must say love doing something that can be considered as product ...
    LOL - wish it was afternoon off .. stoped at the steel shop at 16:15 hehehe best service ever. For the other 1/4 ag ja ...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  6. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Slow progress - late nights at work will cause that. All ready for paint - welding is done - I did not add the support braces on the top shelf - but did add extra support on the main deck - to provide support for tanks smaller than 60cm wide. Hope to get this done over the weekend.

Been looking at my stock 4ft stand that came with the tank, thinking about raising it to the same 70cm height as the 1.8 m and the table next to it. I do like the 70 cm thing as a standard. Caught myself thinking that the boyu stand needs to be replaced and that lucky 13 can also do with a 70cm high stand ... with a brace 5 cm from the ground allowing for 65 cm of working tank space below the top table.

7. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Totally crashed after work today ... need to go paint the stand now. I hate painting.

8. Ferryman

Ferryman

heh, id rather paint than cut, position, weld and tap the carbon off. thats the tedious part. Its looking good, I saw the plan for the stand on your site, thats gonna be a very busy but interesting fish room, looks cool

9. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Not much happened last night - I spend the day welding nuts under both tops (discretely hidden so that I can hang things like lights) - Then did the NS4 thing, waited - painted NS8, waited and started doing water changes (well dump the water to move thanks around to get the new stand in) What a difference it has made. Going to live in the space for a while ... well still tempted to lift the 4 ft.

So here is the completed stand ... Thanks to all that gave advise and ideas - it all contributed to make this a very pleasurable build.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

So stand is doing fine - actually with me moving Lucky 13 to the window I had to find another place to work .. turns out that the tanks stand is also the perfect desk.

I collected two 3ft's yesterday .. and did a quick setup, these are going to be bare bottom in the current incarnation ... wood, plants and fish all come from the tank on the left.

Still looking at what the filter requirements for these two tanks would be ...

The one thing that is striking is the viewing angle - gives that LFS feel ;-)

2x3ft18.jpg

2x3ft18.jpg

11. speedz

speedz In need of a fishroom....

awesome fishroom/computer space! just what I need lol

12. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I am getting old - 18 months ago I had a dream ... a year ago it was still kicking, today it is a mere twinkle in the distance, Time to rethink what I want to do with this desk / stand...

18standdec2011.jpg

This is the NOW .... hmmm

18standdec2011.jpg

13. Immy

Immy

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  14. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

LOL- thank for browsing f-fish.net - I really need to do some updates on that is is soooo stale.

Hi @Immy - I like 25x25mm easy to do the math also means I have spare around if I need to mend or extend. Normally 2mm walled is fine, but on the 1.8 I used some 3mm - wow that stuff is a different story to cut I discovered after I was messing with some off-cuts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Immy

Immy

Thanks @f-fish, was just wondering, coz nobody states the wall thickness on their DIY metal stand plans. 1.6mm is most common, but would be a nightmare to arc weld(although apparently not impossible). I'm gonna be using 38x25mm tubing for my 120x50cm stand.

Your site is still a pleasure to browse though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Yeah 1.6mm is a bugger, maybe if I was a weekend welder or if this was my trade different story. But really I only get to play with an arc welder when I do stuff for home or want to confuse some poor bugger trying to sell me a finger printing solution, but that is a different story.

17. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Not sure I am in the right thread ...

Here goes - update on the twins.

For some reason I did not have my top lights running - thought it was light that blew but turned out I unplugged a few months ago. Been in a bit of a diy mood so ended up removing the previous 3 ft tubes and replacing them with a single 4 ft opple T5 and a reflector that is to short to mention. All in all I am amazed the plants survived - probably 3 month or more without any light.. needless to say I have no algae issues currently in the tanks ;-)

twin3ft.jpg

Later Ferdie

twin3ft.jpg

18. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

The twins are probably the only 3ft tanks I will keep running this winter .. running HMF's ( see HMF now and still to come) on them but most of the big plants have been moved over time into other tanks.

twinsApril2014a.jpg

Just not getting around to moving catch22 back.

Later Ferdie

twinsApril2014a.jpg

19. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Some kind sole donated loads of erect moss to the local LFS - thanks .. got me a bunch and added it to the newly renovated 3ft on the right. Tipped all the substrate from the experiment into the tank, added some extra silca sand. Lights camera little action - we will wait.

3ftsp01.jpg

3fttwin02.jpg

3fttwin03.jpg

I probably should not even mention this but I can not recall ever cleaning this HOB or removing the HMF for a wash down.

3fttwinfilter.jpg

I think it is time clean the face of the HMF - next time with a WC - maybe.

3fttwinhmf.jpg

Later Ferdie

3ftsp01.jpg

3fttwin02.jpg

3fttwin03.jpg

3fttwinfilter.jpg

3fttwinhmf.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  20. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Did a quick bit of DIY .. had to extend the 1 meter led strip to cover the entire length of the twins - this is running at 14 watts now - much better than the 35 watt T5 I had before. Will need to see how the growth goes on this. Not a 100% convinced this is doable on a single string.

twins.jpg

twins03.jpg

twins02.jpg

Still using elastics to test the mounting - should this work I suspect the heat will get to it and I will need to secure it via more traditional means.

Later Ferdie

twins.jpg

twins03.jpg

twins02.jpg

21. JCL

JCL

If you remove most of the duckweed you'l get more light into the tank .... -lol

Recent Posts