Automated WC

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by QuintenRowland, Sep 15, 2018.

1. QuintenRowland

QuintenRowland

Hi All

Im busy building my fishroom as some have seen from my other thread.

I just wanted to check if there is any one here on the forum that have used some sprinkler automation controller and float switched to build a auto WC system that drains the tanks to about 50% automatically and then does topups till float switch triggered and then completed.

I am trying to make the whole room as effertless as possible of basic maintenance needs like WC etc so I can focus on the more important things like ensuring the water parameters etc are in spec.

Im also not always at home so want the system to operate the maintenance on its own so the kids can just feed as my better half not so keen on the whole idea.

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I typically leave my tanks for 3-4 weeks a year in my other 1/4's hands - she does top-up and feeding if needed.

Most auto WC actually does not drain and fill, but rather have an overflow so all you do you add the amount of water and that overflows into another system.

Later Ferdie

4. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@QuintenRowland , as @f-fish says, Im not aware of anyone that has automated water changes as in draining and refilling.

What is very popular and extensively done especially on large systems with big bioloads is a 'drip system'
    As Ferdie mentioned, the water drips in and overflows into an overflow and out the system
    This overflow is usually done by having your sump drilled at a certain height and the water flows out there
    You can set your drip system to drip so much per day

There are two things to keep in mind here.. firstly the conditioning of your water going into the tank with a dechlorinator and secondly gravel vac of the tank
    Dont convince yourself that an automated drip system replaces water changes completely

Pierré Schoonraad and Ammar like this.
  5. OP
    QuintenRowland

QuintenRowland

Thanks

I will be using water from my jojo tank so I just need to check that the water in there is all good.

MariaS likes this.
  6. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Just saw this today. This might be something in the line of your thinking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Funny enough I also saw this this morning @pierreschoonraad

Will be interesting to follow and see the end of it

I must say though that, im not quite sure how comfortable i would be with my tank emptying out half way unless im there.... especially in the land of power outages..
    Lets face it... Its an awesome idea but i need to see it work without disasters first...
    I guess Im just too neurotic about my fish

8. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I actually love doing wc on my tanks. But yes it is a good looking system he is working on. Personally I will opt for the drip system as it is a constant supply of fresh water which means your paramaters should stay in the safe zone the whole time. It will also prevent fluctuations on stuff like ph and temp in the long run.

Ammar likes this.
  9. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Personally I agree with you.. I also prefer the drip system for the same reasons you have mentioned
    I also enjoy working on my tanks but I suppose if you have a fish room full of tanks, the automated water changes is an attractive idea although I would still rather go for a drip system

Ammar and pierreschoonraad like this.
  10. Ammar

Ammar

So im going to be setting up a spraybar to feed 10 containers.. but i was thinking just drill a hole above each container and let it flow... do it have to be a slow dripping process?
    i saw most videos on u tube have a little flow control over each tub.. not sure thats necessary..

11. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I think a drip system should work perfect.

MariaS likes this.
  12. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

I think if you jus make a hole and let it flow, its probably going to be too much...?
    Those containers are not big so a constant flow will probably end up changing all the water in each container a few times a day? I guess it depends on the size of the hole and how many holes you will be making, you would have to try and see how much water comes out of each hole once you done
    I ideally you want to drip (depending on the size of tank or container) a certain percentage of water a day and not the full amount of water

Ammar likes this.
  13. Ammar

Ammar

Ok, but if you think about a sump under a tank, does it not cycle the water in the same way?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

14. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Yes a sump basicly does the same thing but it is just the same water being cycled through all the tanks in a closed system. With a drip system you are continuasly adding fresh water to the system and removing same amount of 'old' water from the system. There is constant dilution taking place.

Ammar and MariaS like this.
  15. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

I think @pierreschoonraad has basically answered your question but yes, a sump is a filter... water overflows from the tank into sumo, goes through all the media and back into the tank.
    A drip system, you set it to drip in so many liters of clean water per day, the same amount as is dripped in has to flow out the system completely or your tank will overflow
    This is usually done by drilling a hole at a certain height in the sump so that when the water reaches that height it flows out into a drain or the garden or however you want it to
    Drip systems are mostly used on very big tanks that are either on the overstocked side or house fish that produce loads of bioload as it takes some of the burden off your filtering system
    A drip system is widely used by Ray keepers in particular and other monster fish setups

BUT...You have to be careful too with a drip system, that you dont drip/ replace so much water daily that your filters dont build up enough bacteria to support the bioload if suddenly your drip system stops and the filters have to cope alone or you will have a disaster on your hands

Ammar and pierreschoonraad like this.
  16. Ammar

Ammar

Makes sence, so im using a sump system..

Jeez... can you imagine water bill?
    i had a slight leak that ran over 2 months, my bill came to 13K this month... i am p00ping myself.. hoping insurance will cover it..

17. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

A drip system doesn't replace water changes completely but installing a drip system you would probably be ok with a water change every second week instead of every week
    So you would save a certain amount on actual water changes which would compensate or even break even with the amount being dripped

18. Ammar

Ammar

19. OP
    QuintenRowland

QuintenRowland

That was exactly what I meant...

Great minds think alike.

pierreschoonraad likes this.

Recent Posts