Canister filter problems

Discussion in 'Filtration' started by Neezo, Jul 31, 2019.

1. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Ok cool, will check those out.

2. Guest

3. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

4. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

5. AmithS

AmithS

After my last few experiences with canisters I am not a fan anymore. Just my personal opinion...

6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I must admit that since we got rid of the canisters, i dont look back and regret it

It was a constant battle with leaking seals
    We eventually started realizing that the constant power outages were the cause of seals not lasting

7. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I haven't run larger tanks in a little while, but when I do I'll let my remaining canisters have their day, then move on to sumps. Much more bang for buck for 500 litres plus. For now I've been treating myself with sponge filters only - even I can't break those ;)

We found a similar issue at work - our bigger pumps just couldn't cope with the constant on and off. Introduces opportunity for failure. It actually is worse with a generator, since you often get an on-off-on sequence in rapid succession, which is repeated 2 to 4 hours later.

MariaS likes this.
  8. Slade

Slade

I second, third and forth all that these guys are saying... I'm already preparing a sump with a hang on overflow (until I get a drilled tank which will be when I upgrade) to replace my canister, A- easier to troubleshoot problems, B- easier to clean/do water changes and C- increased water volume = better water stability!

9. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Ok, so should I just move back to internal, I have 2 sebo, 1 x 4 tub full with sponges and 1 x 2 tub, should I just take my Purigen and matrix and insert it into the 2 tub but both a 19w each, power consumption?

10. Toy

Toy

I'm currently using powerheads and external cannisters on my 240 and 101 tanks.

The 101 tank has a refurbished Sebo with a mod on the intake to double the flowrate, works like a charm, was forced to mod to fix broken intake :eek:
    The star is a Jebao 3000 DC inverter powerhead on my 240 tank, since it uses a 24v input, adding a few deep cycle batteries solved all my load shedding issues xD. It also has the advantage of lower power settings so cut down on the monthly bill and to lessen the flow.

Lessons learned:
    • In retrospect external powerheads is probably overkill with anything under 500 lt xD
    • There is a few cases where external cannister and powerheads are preferred (sumps, large biomedia ect) but internal sponge filters will do a great job with way less issues.
    • One tends to think that powerheads and large cannisters are better because they are bigger and more expensive, but don't be fooled, HOB filters can cater for most tanks with less power requirements.

11. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Ok thanks for the advice, I have 2 of these but using 1 with the 4 chamber, the other 1 has 2 chambers

15657052818763138697732264407041.jpg

12. AmithS

AmithS

What filter media do you have in your canister? If it's better put some in the internal filter...

13. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

I have ceramic rings, matrix and Purigen

14. AmithS

AmithS

Use the matrix

15. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Ok, 1 more thing will a small u bend not the same thickness as the pipes cause back pressure and leak the Canister, never had this problem when I had the pipe directly in the tank until someone said the use a u bend and insert the pipe to the bottom of the tank.

16. Toy

Toy

Yes, flow will always be determined by the smallest diameter of all the connections, it has similar effect as a tap that is being closed on water flow.

17. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Ok, giving this a last try, then in the bin, would a damaged impeller cause the canister chamber / bucket to over fill, not pushing the water out fast enough hence causing leakage, I turned the chamber/bucket around and it still leaks at the side were the motor sits which ever side I turn the chamber/bucket, good that be a probable cause?

18. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

If I drop the flow then there is a noise / vibration coming from the filter

19. Toy

Toy

Remember that the pump normally pushes the water under pressure into the canister chamber, through the media and then via canister outlet into the tanks return pipe.

The fact the the canister leaks at the pump side, irrespective of the bucket's orientation, could indicate that the fault is with the mounting at the pump side. Did you inspect for any hairline cracks?

Some models have issues with limited flow, it stalls the impeller and causes vortex noise.
    As a rule of thumb I always use hoses larger that the in or outlet of the pump/canister because the length of connections also causes higher internal drag resulting in flow limitations.

PS: If the leak rate of the canister is negligible just place it in a bucket or above tank until you can resolve the issue.

20. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Thanks, will have a look at that

21. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

If the filter is not sitting level, will it also leak? I got it sitting on an uneven spot due to limited space.

Recent Posts