Wanted: Flowerhorn fish

Discussion in 'Wanted/Swop/Freebies' started by B@kkies, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

You pay good money for good fish.

Also do you want to mix this with other fish?

2. Guest

3. happyFish

happyFish Member

And you can pay good money for bad fish.

You don't often find the other one of finding cheap good fish.

4. neltf

neltf Active Member

was about to ask this

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

5. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

I managed to find good fish at a good price luckily. Just hard to find

6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Why is it that... for example.. and i am using this particular fish because of how popular it is with many on this forum and do NOT mean offense to anyone most of you know i dont have the cheapest fish either so i have no problem with price of discus

So.. my question.... When you want QUALITY Tony Tan discus... R1800.00 a piece is acceptable on this forum.. no big deal...and a very good price?
    Everyone agrees that there is no hope in hell you going to find decent discus that dont have problems.. for R100.00
    Unless.. a discus keeper hits circumstances that he lets his good ones go as he needs a home for them

Now.. Flowerhorns... availability of good quality is very little in the Country probably a similar scenario as discus
    As @Jwh said, there are a few trustworthy people that can source for you good quality but they also have to pay the price for good quality
    But.. R1200.00 is a problem for top quality Flowerhorn

Also Keep in mind also... Good top quality Flowrhorns are not cheap overseas either and most top flowerhorn breeders are the Arowana and Stingray breeders in Asia as the flowerhorn has some place in certain sectors of their culture so.. if you want the quality of the picture you posted, that's where it will have to come from
    You will not find that quality for R100.00

Over and above the quality issues... Remember that when importing, you cant bring in 4 or 5 fish of the same.. you have to bring so many bags of so many fish
    Bring in 200 Oscars and they will be sold in a month.. maybe two
    Bring in 200 Flowerhorns and could take you months to sell them all due to the fact that their temperament and aggression makes keeping flowerhorns limited to most people.. they make oscars look like kittens
    In time, you could end up with 1 Flowerhorn in your 2.4m tank and nothing else.... Not many people are prepared to take the chance

When looking at prices versus the quality one wants, there are many factors you have to take into consideration and once you decide what you actually want, then ask reliable people to source and quote and then you can compare price.. I am not saying that one suplier cant get or give you a slightly better price than the other but you have to be in a position as to be well informed enough to know that that difference does not jeopardize the quality you want

This is just my experience in the many exotic fish we have had brought in for us

7. OP
    B@kkies

B@kkies Active Member

Thanks Maria. I agree with 99% of your statement. Im willing to pay a premium for a quality fish. The price we pay for a quality flowerhorn in RSA is ridiculous. Just look at this video

25$ for a quality flowerhorn. I do not think my lfs is cheap. We pay a premium in the "rural areas" because there is little competition. Am i willing to fork out R1900 for a fish..... not yet and i do not know if i ever will but if i can pick-up a bargain somewhere why not. One of the forum members i know well has a flowerhorn in a community cichlid tank and it works. I suppose it is a gamble. I have read the success rate is better when they all start small in the same tank. It is a expensive gamble i suppose bot so is my current tank build

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

8. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

Your chances are low of a FH working out

9. Drab808

Drab808 Active Member

You have to remember that there is a much bigger market in the US with many local breeders etc so of course the prices will be lower. even if they aren't breeding the fish, they can do large imports among a group of lfs and know they are going to make a profit.
    That's why the prices there are less than here.

Hendre likes this.
  10. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

Plus we pay R1500 here in town. Thing is they don't import so many here so imports work out at more per fish than those that do huge scale

11. OP
    B@kkies

B@kkies Active Member

All are very valid reasons but the jump from R300 to R1500 is steep. Im just a cheapskate with expensive taste. I found a very nice quality fh nearby for R1600 negotiable.... ill try my luck in a month or 2.

12. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

300 is no guarantee of a good fish.

I'd get a 250l just for that fish if I were you

13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Now the thing is, I actually do have a problem with the price of Discus

This is just my opinion, but I think they are way overpriced.

Many years ago, Discus were considered difficult fish. Difficult to keep and difficult to breed
    But no longer so. This perception has changed completely.
    These days anyone can keep Discus, not just a select group of dedicated fish keepers.

I have seen videos of the fish farms in the East.
    Water doesn't need to be heated. Nor does it need to be treated (RO etc), so maintenance expenses are minimal.
    And they are produced/bred in big numbers.

So why haven't prices come down significantly?

14. Drab808

Drab808 Active Member

The reason for this i believe is the price of importing. At the moment we dont have many discus breeders so majority of fish going out to the public need to be imported. The fish themselves don't cost much but getting them here does. This pushed up the price. On top of this, the pet stored bringing them in then wack 100% profit on to cover deaths and try make a profit, hence a once R250 fish after shipping costs R300 and with 100% markup becomes R600

15. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

16. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Cost structure in Europe and the USA might be different?

They are.
    But the breeders systems are completely different (in terms of automation etc) to home set ups

17. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

That's true. Even with wholesale foods discus eat and crap a load more than normal fish and need high protein foods.

While I think it's still expensive they can't be mass produced as easily as many other fish

18. OP
    B@kkies

B@kkies Active Member

Hijack allert

Recent Posts