Hatching and growing brine shrimp

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ammar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Yes Tracy,

Yes there may be bs there, but they may also be eating them in inland pans. If you want to try, you can take a nice big net and walk around the pan all day moving the net in a figure of eight shape and you may catch them. Just remember the flamingos spend all day there, so this may take a little longer......

Your cynic,

Dirk

2. Guest

3. tracyp

tracyp Lotus

:smiley-laughing024:

I can think of better things to do with a day! Thanks, Dirk! But maybe I'll take a net along next time I take out my canoe... just for interests sake!

4. HennieRoux

HennieRoux

As I was reading this Prof I thought...perhaps start a new thread copy paste this, and lets make a fact thread of bs this way everyone can stop asking the same questions, and you dont have to repeat yourself.

So im sure someone with sticky power can sticky this....haha

Thanks @Dirk your input is allways gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. tracyp

tracyp Lotus

Thread stickied/stuck??? :wacko: Not too sure of the grammar here!!!

6. Charles

Charles

Hi all

So I tried the PhytoPlankton powder method and this is what happened. All went well upto about day ten... the BBS grew slow but were growing none the less, I put in a small Boyu black sponge filter to help with filtration obviously since only using an air line fouls up the water fairly quick. Sucked all the muck of the bottom about every 2-3 days. On day ten I added the powder solution again but... I added to much, this is a 25 litre tank approximately, since there were so many BS and BBS I thought that I would up the food and because the filter cleared the cloudiness so fast. Mistake!!! I managed to kill of ALL the BBS and some of the adult BS. DON'T OVER FEED!!! I were now left with only a few adult BS. I went back to only feeding a 1/4 of 1/8 of a measureing spoon to feed the remainder of the adults. The adults started breeding and giving birth to live BBS and these fry are growing at a good rate. Much faster than my own hatched BBS. It is now about day 5 since then and the new BBS are about 7 times bigger. From the previous experiment none of the BBS survived the over feeding, so these are new borns from the adults that were left. Water changes were done as part of sucking off the muck from the bottom of the tank. Please take note that this method does not yield high quantities of BS. I was only feeding PhytoPlankton powder and nothing else. At best over time you can feed a few to your fish. I will experiment with a larger surface area tank and see if I can't yield a bigger collony faster. The PhytoPlankton powder I purchased at R159 and there is roughly about 2-3 heaped table spoons of powder in it. It is more cost effective than the liquid BS food you get that is 120ml for R150! which last you about a week max depending on tank size and population. It still works you out cheaper to buy adult BS at your lfs for R10-R15 a packet or to buy frozen BS in cubes. So that's my 2 cents worth from the experiment I ran with the PhytoPlankton powder.

7. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

thanx for the feedback @Charles very interesting.

8. Charles

Charles

9. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

i still think cheapest would be to hatch your own, from what i gathered here BS older than 36 hours becomes just as nutritious as any other food so other than the pleasure of seeing fish hunting down those big shrimps you not getting much use of growing them bigger.

10. dorff

dorff

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to add 2c worth. I have managed to grow out BS in about three weeks using spirulina powder with a little bit of Anchor instant yeast added. It is really important not to overfeed, as the spirulina is very high in protein and will quickly foul the water if not consumed by the shrimps. I have used coarse sea salt at 2% strength, which seems to be perfectly fine for the shrimp. When feeding the spirulina, I put about a knife point (no more!) of it in a small plastic bottle, add water and shake it up first. Adding the powder directly means half of it clogs and floats to the side of the container. I think this is really economical, especially when using the discards from your BBS batches. Adult BS may be less nutritious, yet they still make excellent live food and they help in providing a varied and stimulating diet. Since they seem to provide much enjoyment to the fish, it is worth the effort. Spirulina is about R100 for 500g at Dischem, and this will last a near eternity for small scale operations. By comparison, I think phytoplankton powder must be much more expensive.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  11. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

Very interesting link on hatching and breeding bs

http://fishkeepingadvice.com/brine-shrimp/

During the next eight days, the nauplii grow and progress through 15 molts before reaching adulthood. Adult Artemia average about 8mm long, but can reach lengths up to 20mm in optimal environments. An adult brine shrimp is approximately 20 times longer and 500 fold larger in biomass than a nauplius.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  12. David Kusner

David Kusner

Where can you get the eggs from in GP?

13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I have bought from Aquarium Center in Kenilworth and Wazeer in Boksburg

My hatching rate wasnt very good though which could also be m fault
    I then saw Wazeer gets in freshly hatched brine shrimp all the time and I bought a bag
    They held in the fridge for over a week so i gave up doing it myself as the cost for a week's supply wasnt worth the trouble

I suppose it also depends how much breeding you doing

14. David Kusner

David Kusner

@MariaS thanks for the info, will visit them this weekend and give their fresh brine a try.

15. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

@MariaS can I ask what the cost was?
    i will need some for my rainbows, also struggling to hatch but my batch is years old.. i think its gone bad

16. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Are you guys adjusting the salinity of your hatching water to 1.025?

17. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

i followed steps as per prof dirk initial post... but my eggs are probably 7 years old from when i initially started the hobby

18. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I keep my eggs in the freezer with only a small plastic bottle full in the fridge. I use salt water adjusted to a SG of 1.025. And I place these in a 1 kg spar margarine tub in an east facing windowsill. Get bs for about 2 weeks worth of feedings (depending on how many eggs I put in initially of course)

19. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Ammar, f i remember right it was R30.00 for a fair sized plastic bag

@TheGrissom , I did adjust the salinity. I dont know f sometimes the eggs we buy are also old?

As I said, if you constantly breeding a lot, it might be netter to hatch your own
    If you only have the occasional spawn then i didnt find it worth the trouble
    I also feed the Tetra first bites powder in between

20. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

R30 bux a week is not bad at all!

ill check Wazeers this weekend

21. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

If you only have a spawn now and then, its certainly not worth the trouble of hatching your own
    Last ones bought was probably about 9 months ago, even if they a little more now for me its worth it
    For those of you seriously breeding all the time.. i dont know

Recent Posts