Help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Neezo, Nov 22, 2018.

1. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

How often should the canister be cleaned?

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I suppose not having to run a heater is a saving but then, cut down on the amount of fish.
    For now it will help although long term they will also get too big for the tank

There are tropical fish that can withstand quite low temperatures, guppies for one and I am sure with a bit of research you will find others

4. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

And marine?

5. sameer

sameer

Marine?? I strongly recommend get the tropical right first. Especially since you mentioned cost effective.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Nico Hamman and MariaS like this.
  6. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Ok ,what about this, how effective is itIMG_20181122_215406.jpg

7. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

With all this I can open my own aquarium :lol:

8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Marine.... well.... without meaning to offend you... if you battling to get a tropical tank right and understand the needs and balance between fish and filtration.. then forget about Marine .... that's even more complicated
    As for costs.. you need a pretty full wallet all the time

9. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Yes, I understand thanks for the heads up

10. hs72

hs72

Agree, your bacteria needs enough media to grow on and increase to levels adequate to contain the bio load

Short term: 25% water changes twice a week. Good vacuums to get the rotting solids out of the substrate.

Get better quality filter media asap and start cycling it
    I am a big seachem fan
    Seachem matrix 250ml for R110 can house enough bacteria for a 200 liter tank. Buy as you can afford, cycle for a few weeks in a filter bag or vegetable net bag thing and first replace the bio balls and then the ceramics. You can super charge that canister with a liter of matrix for about R400 and according to their specs there should be enough space to grow enough bacteria to handle a 800 liter tank's normal stocked bio load. A liter of matrix will easily fit in that canister. Later invest in a bag of purigen - its expensive(R300) but you buy it once, it's reusable. It absorbs a lot of crap from water.

Just don't overspend on chemicals and stuff as it sucks to realize later that you could have upgraded to a bigger setup

There's an interesting cichlid vid on youtube. I think it's called keeping cichlids in a medium tank. This guy has a 75 gallon tank with approx 20 full size cichlids.
    Listen to this: 150% water change per week. FX6 + hang on full of ceramics + 80 liter sump. to handle the load

11. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Thanks, will do so.

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Agree with some of what you have said about media...

Its dangerous though to say that 250ml matrix will house enough bacteria for a 200l tank as it's extremely misleading to someone that has no idea or concept of the ratio of bioload produced by different sizes, numbers and species of fish which is the case here
    Personally I also believe Purigen is a quick fix and not a solution and using Purigen on a tank that is not balanced and cycled properly can also lead to disaster
    I don't use Purigen on any of my huge tanks with huge fish

As for some of the amazing things on youtube..... youtube can be your best friend one day and your worst enemy and downfall the next day
    People post videos of these wonderful setups and fish combinations that are miraculously working but you never see or get to see if they post follow ups to these miracles and if they lasted long term
    A typical example is people quoting Joey's videos.. he mixed this fish with that fish and its cool, it works and people will argue with you that it works
    No one goes back to check for follow ups and the disaster some of the wonderful ideas turn into
    Don't get me wrong... Im not against youtube but.... if it looks too good to be true... be careful

13. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Thanks for the response, I will open my canister to see what's inside, I also have a broken Canister which I can clean and add as the broken Canister was for marine, pictures to follow later and advice as to setup will be a great help

14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Its impossible to say for sure how often as it depends on the circumstances ie.. number of fish etc

The best is to start off by cleaning after a month, if you see its extremely dirty reduce the time between cleaning, if you see its not too bad, increase the time to 6 weeks
    In this way you will establish what your tank and fish's requirements are

15. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@Neezo it's your filtration. Canisters move the water over the media very fast making them not very efficient and why such a high turnover is always recommended with them, when using them stuff them to the brim with ceramics. Put a sponge filter in each corner and watch your problems go away, they are very good biofilters.

16. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Hi, this is from my broken filterIMG_20181123_095726.jpg

17. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

This is from my current canister ,should I add the extra into my current canister IMG_20181123_100820.jpg

18. hs72

hs72

Nice lots of media! use what you have. I prefer the ceramics. I googled and your canister does 800 liter per hour.
    I would ditch the plastics and carbon

19. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Thanks, will do so.

20. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Neezo, Put all the media you can fit from the old filter into the new one

Throw the carbon away its probably dead anyway and use the space for the extra media

Don't chuck away the plastic media you have, there is nothing wrong with it, the plastic media you have there is not the normal flat bioballs, its similar to K1 media ( with all the holes)and K1 media is one of the best you can find.

Nico Hamman likes this.
  21. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Thank you for your advice.

Recent Posts