Help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Neezo, Nov 22, 2018.

1. sameer

sameer

Yes lava rock one of the best to use and it doesnt cost an arm and a leg....i use it in all or most of my filters. I.e sump, hangon and even in my canisters. Good stuff that.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

@Barry Roux, I will do that, where are you situated ?

4. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

Im in brakpan dalview

5. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

This is my sump, used as a storage unit and the bottom tap is loose and leaking IMG_20181124_203819.jpg IMG_20181124_203757.jpg IMG_20181124_203819.jpg IMG_20181124_203757.jpg IMG_20181124_203757.jpg IMG_20181104_155524.jpg IMG_20181124_203819.jpg IMG_20181124_203757.jpg IMG_20181104_155524.jpg

6. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Leaking from the part stuck to the tank

7. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

To use the sump you will have to remove the valve completely and clean the area off silicone ile come help you re install it if you going the sump route

8. OP
    Neezo

Neezo

Thanks, you can pm me your price.

9. Stephan Liebenberg

Stephan Liebenberg Chief McGill

Yes the builders one is perfectly safe, in fact fish stores ask ridiculous amounts for the stuff I got a literal tonn of the stuff delivered to my home for less than R400 I'm using some of it at the bottom of my tubs (breeding some guppies in them) and no problems.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

10. Stephan Liebenberg

Man get that sump active ASAP even if there's is no media in it you will have increased your water volume - that is already a great improvement then go to a sand and brick shop and get a ton (as much as you can afford - usually they sell it in tons though) of the lava rock its cheep and it works. Fill your sump then... If you don't have a substrate (some sand or gravel at the bottom of the tank) get some builders sand (pool filter sand) you can get that at the same place and give it a 1-2 cm layer at the bottom (goldfish love that stuff!) and as a added benifit it is a great place for benifitial bacteria to grow.

Also everyone seems to suggest using seachem stability or some other dechlorinator for water changes (this is good, and by far the safest method) but when money is tight just get a large bucket fill it with tap water the night before and let it stand for 12 hours most of the chlorine will have evaporated and you should not experience any harm to your fish (I've been doing my water changes like that for some time now with no problems)

Another issue that no one has mentioned is how do you clean your filter? With old tank water or fresh tap water (always use the tank water) the chlorine will kill off all (most) of your benifitial bacteria causing an Amonia spike every time you clean your filters.

I will post some pics of my lava rock use when I get a gap...

Now to all my fellow fish keepers I would like to ask about something that I could swear was on this forum a while back but that I can't find now: there used to be a set of questions that people were asked to answer when enquiring about sick fish

From the top of my head the questions were:

Size tank:
    Stocking (how many fish and what kind) :
    Water temperature:
    Water changing schedule:
    Filter type:
    PH (what test kit did you use?) :
    KH:
    Amonia levels:
    Nitrate levels:
    Nitrite levels :
    What time of day did you test? Do you test the same time every day? :
    Plants stocking:
    Symptoms of fish:
    Behavior:
    Looks:
    Defects:
    Diet (what are you feeding how much and how often?):
    Did you add anything new to the aquarium recently (fish, filter, plant or decoration) :
    What filter do you run?:
    - PICTURES - PHOTOS - KIKIES - IMAGES - of everything and as much as reasonable!

There was probably more but I can't remember everything. If you can find it or know where it is it would be great if we can have it pinned to the top of the general discussion forum.

11. Stephan Liebenberg

As promised here is a picture (it's from a 20l desk tank that I'm housing some hand me down endlers in temporarily - I'm in the middle of moving so all my tanks are a mess) as you can see the rock looks black (when dry it appears dark Grey) and is filled with holes and crevices (this is what makes it good for filtration all the holes and cracks increase the surface area for bacteria to grow. These rocks are also mostly inhert as they are literally formed by lava that has cooled down. (my local supply had lava rocks that contained bits of chrome in them - this is because Middleburg Mpumalanga has a large crome deposit and also a large lava rock deposit, i don't know what chrome does to a tank so I avoid putting in any rocks that have shiny, rusty or any other contaminants in them, into my tank)

I hope this settles some questions...

S. [​IMG][​IMG]

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Stephan Liebenberg ,

If you go to the diseases forum, the questionnaire you referring to is a sticky at the top of that page.

Stephan Liebenberg likes this.

Recent Posts