Marbelite - Safe to use?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TroyFish, Dec 3, 2010.

1. TroyFish

TroyFish

Hi all

I got this crazy idea to create layers in my tank using marbelite.
    When i say layers i mean layers of different heights in the tank for plants

Hope you understand what i mean....

Anyways just want to find out if this is a good idea. Im guessing this means i need to have my calcium levels correct other wise it starts to 'eat' it away.

I have got so many great ideas for it and will get started the moment i get home:bigsmile:

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated

Thanks

2. Guest

3. riyadh

riyadh

I am sure it could work. Not sure of the effect it would have on your water though. But dont you need somthing for it to adhere to? What if you made it outside the tank on a cardboard mould or somthing?

4. OP
    TroyFish

TroyFish

Was thinking of building it in the tank, but a mould would probably be better, thanks.

I stand corrected as i don't no much about marbelite but it should make much of a difference to the water

5. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Maybe the people who have koi ponds can share their insight. We (our company) quoted on a koi pond recently where the client specified black marbelite. The Supplier says that it can be done, however the pond would need to run without any fish in it for 6 months (i.e water movement through filters etc) before adding fish.

6. riyadh

riyadh

hectic, i suppose that is to get toxins out of the marbelit, i wasnt sure if it had any

7. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

I think it's more got to do with the marbelite curing. If you want a salt pool, you have to do the same... run as chlorine pool for 6 month, and only then change to chlorinated, because apparently if you go salt immediately, it will damage the marbelite.

8. OP
    TroyFish

TroyFish

If i run the tank without fish and only plants?

Im guessing there is going to be a lot of algae growth on the marbelite itself? Either way it doesnt mater.

Im going to start building this tonight maybe, will open up another thread when i do so. Going to be and interesting one for.

Recent Posts