My 1000 Litre Frontosa tank journey

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by Ortaega, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Zuraki

Zuraki

It is really a shame that Jack is gone. He helped me source a colony of 22 Leptosoma utinta and 6 Lamprologus oscellatus a few years back for my 600L setup. Had a diy rockwork background. Leptosoma are amazing. Males constantly colouring up and displaying for females within virtually claimed territories in the tank. Yet males will chase one another out of their boundaries but never ever saw any physical contact or damage. Just an amazing site to behold. Had about 6 males being dominant at once, constantly chasing and flaring fins for the females. Also, spawned about 60 fry which I raised to 2cm. I think that I actually sold some of my fry to Lep2soma at a stage. If you can get these fish, hold on to them. Never seen them in a pet shop here, but Jack somehow managed to get them.

After about 2 years, I somehow introduced a disease into my tank and my fish slowly started dying one after the other. Terrible experience.

Never kept Frontosa or Brichardi before. I have heard Frontosas have great personalities and can get quite old. I am very jealous of your tank. Making me think I should get back into tangs :D

Anyway I have a breeding colony of S. lucipinnis and have spawned some juveniles that I have been growing out. They were sold to me as S. petricola about 3 years back but I believe them to be lucipinnis. Then also have a few S. grandiops also sold as S. petricola. I drove them down in the boot of my car when I moved from PTA to CT. They all survived. Anyway, I am very skeptical about attempting to air courier fish, since Ive never done it before. But maybe will give it a try after some more research.

Anyway your tank looks amazing :thumbup:

Reedfish and Ortaega like this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Ortaega
    Nice to see you back and active and what a stunning tank!
    Will certainly be following and all best

Ortaega likes this.
  4. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Thank you!

Glad to be back & enjoying the tank already and looking forward to seeing it work out as planned. :thumbup:

Thanks!

Might also look at making a type of Diy background the moment I get some time.

Glad to see you haven't left the hobby completely due to the terrible experience you had with losing your fish. I remembered the first time I saw pictures of Leptosoma I thought they were photoshopped, their coloring is quite unique.

Keeping Frontosa and Brichardi is a 1st for me this time as well. Used to keep quite a variety of different community fish as well as Malawi's in the past. Obtaining this tank was really a dream come true for me. There was quite a lot of different fish I saw for the first time from Jack that I have not yet seen in any of our LFS.

I would've been scared with that distance on transporting fish. Longest Drive I've had was +/- 2 hours when I bought a Jaguar cichlid.

I've only had my guppies, apple snails & Convicts breed in the past and some ghost shrimp.

Zuraki and Reedfish like this.
  5. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I must agree that Leptosoma are interesting fish to keep.
    I have 5 at the moment (2 males & 3 females). Was keen for more, but they were quite expensive.
    So far, one female is holding, and hopefully a few of the fry will manage to survive, and the numbers will build up over the coming months.

Ortaega, MariaS and top dog like this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wow , you dont waste time or.. they dont waste time!
    The tank is just up and you have babies!
    Good luck hope there are a few that pull through

Ortaega and Reedfish like this.
  7. Zuraki

Zuraki

@Reedfish That is great to hear. Do you know which Leptosoma variant you have? I lost most of my fry to my overflow. Do you have other fish in the tank besides leptosoma. The good news is that the parents really dont target the fry. So unless you have other fish in there, they should be fine. The females usually spit at night in my experience, so I would check early the next morning. You can actually see the developmental stage of the eggs through the translucent buccal cavity of the females. Very nice experience. Super jealous right now :D

Ortaega likes this.
  8. Zuraki

Zuraki

My 3D background worked great. I just wish I didnt silicone it to the back of the tank. Rather just hang it with a clip so that you can remove it and clean behind it. Here's a link to my tank's thread with the 3D background if you were wondering:

https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/my-first-tanganyika-setup.17338/

Ortaega likes this.
  9. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

if yours breed around the same time mine did I'd guess January :thumbup:

Ortaega likes this.
  10. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Thanks for the link, the background looks damn good! Giving me nice ideas now. Getting this in nog gonna be a bit of a bugger. Will play around with some ideas and maybe when I do a big water change again I can look at installing one. Like the black background for now, but would like a rocky background.

11. Zuraki

Zuraki

There are so many things one can try. I did the background with the leptosoma's in mind, but the rock work does steal some tank space as well. And Frontosas against a black background is sublime anyway hehehe. Good luck!

12. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Hi all, a recent pic I took on the tank after the water change. still playing around with the scape.

Frontosa's still doing well, growing slowly but surely. Looking around for a few more rocks so that I can take the one out on the right, flees like a lost nuclear reaction for me.

Will try to do a few more pics again on them and post an update shortly.
    IMG_20210306_210858.jpg

13. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Nice to see the progress

With a good diet, they will eventually become decent sized fish.
    Seems that most Tang species are relatively slow growing :rolleyes:

14. Whoknows

Looking good:thumbup::thumbup:

15. Shabir

Shabir

Looking great man.. I see you added some Malawi's in there too? Or are those lelupi?

Whoknows likes this.
  16. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Loads of people told me they grow quite slow and I was like, Nah can't be that bad. Now I really see what they meant. Well just trying to still behave and in a year's time or more it would've been all worth it.

Thank you!

They are actually Malawi's I've used to cycle the tank at first. Was planning to remove them, but catching them in there is quite a challenge so they remained for now. Been keeping an eye on them because can see they grow quite faster than the Tangs. Because of the size of the tank and all the rocks, they all seem to get along for now.

Wanted to get a few more tangs, but they quite scarce and damn expensive these days. Really miss Jack stone.

There are a few yellow labs in there, 3 more other Malawi's I've not yet identified. 4x Brichardi's, 4x Cuckoo catfish, and a pleco and a siamese algae eater. Never removed the first bunch I've cycled with. Going with it now as is and will tweak going forward as needed.

Will try to get a few nice pics of all down the line.

Reedfish, Whoknows and Shabir like this.
  17. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

A few more pics I could get last night.

IMG_20210309_192432.jpg IMG_20210309_192438.jpg IMG_20210309_192455.jpg IMG_20210309_192504.jpg IMG_20210309_192509.jpg IMG_20210309_192531.jpg IMG_20210309_192545.jpg IMG_20210309_192550.jpg IMG_20210309_192601.jpg

Reedfish, MariaS, Whoknows and 4 others like this.
  18. Shabir

Shabir

Try to get good pictures of the unidentified ones. I'll try to id them for you.

Tank is looking fantastic. They should all be good together, just hope none of them try to breed as that's when they become aggressive mainly

19. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Thank you, will do. Yeah, apparently the Brichardi's can be just as aggressive at times as Malawi's when they start breeding. Will see what happens.

There were times I really got frustrated with how long this tank takes to develop, but have learned to get patient with this now.

Shabir likes this.
  20. Whoknows

Stunning :thumbup::thumbup:

21. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looking stunning @Ortaega

Nice to see you online!!

Whoknows likes this.

Recent Posts