My 1000 Litre Frontosa tank journey

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by Ortaega, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

They are quite pale.
    Mine are more orange than the usual lemon yellow.
    Perhaps your will darken with age as they grow. Will be interesting to see

But in the lake, leleupi are found in a variety of colour forms. From pale yellow, to orange, to almost black

Ortaega likes this.
  2. Guest

3. top dog

top dog

good luck
    having partner who is invested in hobby makes life alot easier.
    my wifey never showed any interest till she saw baby ray, we now have rays and without her help it would not be possible. If i am away she can do water changes and loves feeding fish. so def work out for the best

Reedfish, A new day and Ortaega like this.
  4. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

I'm sure these will color up they almost 3cm in size which is quite small, but yeah there is always a chance they will remain pale yellow, hoping for a nice bright yellow/orange. Due to their size, I got them for R100 each which for me was worth the gamble for now. Most colors I can in in the right lighting is a very bright yellow on 2 of them so far. Looking forward the see them grow. With time as things progress I slowly want to rehome/move some of the Malawi's to tank setups of their own to keeping mostly Tangs as far as possible in this setup, still trying to get hold of few other species, might get lucky when I go back over the weekend.

I've seen some of the black ones, I would love to have a few of them as well, but all of them look quite good regardless of their coloring.

That is awesome! Currently still learning all about the ones I'm keeping and if she has a question I make time to tell her as much as I can without overwhelming her with too much info all at once. I even believe she understands the nitrogen cycle better than me atm.:D Building up slowly but surely and she is the one now nagging me to on a weekly basis to go and visit the lfs, she spends most of her time after we toured through looking at all the fish staring at the marine tank in the center of the store and spend most of her time in front of it till I'm done with my purchases/rounds of the store. Her interest just spiked my excitement in the hobby even more.

Reedfish, top dog and A new day like this.
  5. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Going a bit off topic......
    My SO has no interest in my fish. In a way, it's a bit annoying as there is a bit of a debate when it comes to spending etc.
    On the other hand, I actually prefer it that way. The fish is MY thing. Without having someone else getting involved with every decision

Shabir and Ortaega like this.
  6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

When I got mine - there was 1 black leleupi among the orange ones in the lfs tank
    The owner tried to get me to take it. But wanted the the orange ones for the extra colour in the tank.

Ortaega likes this.
  7. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

True, I'm lucky in that sense that even when she did not really care about aquariums much at the beginning she knew it was something peaceful for me to break away from work. If I wanted something I would tell her and as long as it does not have a negative impact on our situation financially. Depending on what it was I wanted I always note it/keep it on a wish list somewhere and wait 30-60 days roughly to really think it through especially on really expensive stuff. Mostly worked out well so far.

Most I could see were not colored up and had some bright yellow in their fins, really hope they will be some of those that color up to a bright yellow/orange. I would not mind getting a few of each, but I'm controlling the urge to do so. I'm for now still just looking for some Calvus & then the Leptosoma's. A few of the non Tangs will be moved with time as all grow in for now.

Additionally, at the moment, I have a few more setups:

• Outdoor 110 Litre container with some guppies breeding wildly. I often leave some wood in there to get nice in green with algae and bring them indoors for the Bristlenose pleco's
    • indoor just set up a standard 2ft, want to use this in the long run for my 2x Albino Bristlenoses to see how they breed, etc.
    • 1.5ft small setup in which the above-mentioned Bristlenoses are currently in. a few neons I think is 4 that I took over from my mother-in-law and another normal Bristlenose with some guppy fry.

In the past, I only ever liked one tang and it was the Frontosa's I've loved these fish since before I can remember. After years in the hobby, reading much content on the internet (including TASA over the years), visiting loads of LFS and many youtube videos I've come to like African cichlids more and more. Just a pity that although we live in South Africa, it's more difficult to get hold of certain species here than in the overseas areas.

8. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

that's awesome. Glad you gave in that tank is perfect for them can't wait to see them in a few years :thumbup:

Stingrays would be awesome too but not sure how they'll do with tangs

Ortaega likes this.
  9. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

If I was to get stingray's I would not have done tangs at all or most probably any of the fish I already own. Also looking forward to seeing them grow. Keeping myself busy on the side with few other small projects so that I do not tinker too much with this tank where not needed.

Whoknows likes this.

Recent Posts