My Planted Community Setup (150 cm, 420 L, light CO2 and ferts)

Discussion in 'Full tank shots' started by JimmyHD, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Arno

Arno

Honestly the nicest tank I've seen. Love the plants and stocking. Thanks for sharing!!

A new day, JimmyHD and iMG like this.
  2. Guest

3. AmithS

AmithS

4. Staffy

Staffy

Wow thats a show stopper! Very beautiful tank @JimmyHD

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

5. OP
    JimmyHD

JimmyHD

So, you know how some people post a series of photos showing how they scaped their tank in a logical, start-to-finish sequence? Not me!

I just found some old photos from about two years ago when I first set up my tank. I thought they would be interesting.

20180404_173748.jpg
    This is the empty setup. Being quality inspected by Cat.

20180407_131530.jpg
    I tried arrangements of wood and rocks first. It's mopane wood (from Aqua Empire) and rando rocks from around where I live. In hindsight, I should have bought nicer dragon stone but things had started to get expensive already.

20180407_133642.jpg
    In goes the gravel. It is Langa Aqua Soil with a height of about 5 cm throughout although I used plain black gravel at the back, underneath, to raise the height at the back while being cheaper.

20180407_135744.jpg
    Wood and rocks now in place. People say you should place them directly on the bottom, but I didn't. They were well supported in the substrate, though. I went for the two-sided layout with a depression in the middle (U-shape, some call it) which I liked and is supposed to be easier.

20180407_164619.jpg
    Then, some basic planting. Started with some crypts and amazon swords. (Crypts still going strong, amazon swords gone.)

20180407_172331.jpg
    Added some anubias, pearl weed (MM), hydrocotyle, and some taller stem plants like ludwigia (maybe others too, can't remember). Incidentally, the pearl weed grew like crazy, really being a weed. I ended up removing it. The hydrocotyle never really flourished...

20180407_180107.jpg
    With some water.

20180407_180337.jpg
    Lights, camera, action. I was quite pleased with the result, even though it looked very sparse. The plants had to grow a bit. Which they did, although it did take some time. Begin cycling.

20180414_121101.jpg
    After cycling for about two weeks, I added the rummy noses and harlequins. Still going strong today. (A few have died off along the way, but given the short life expectancy of tetras, this is normal.)

Over time, I added much more biological media to my sump. Weird collection of ceramic rings, Seachem Matrix and whatever was available.)

So little of the hardscape is still visible today. If I wanted it to be more prominent, I should have gone MUCH bigger; I really underestimated the hardscape relative to the size of the tank. Still, I like the planted results, and as I mentioned previously, the hardscape serves as scaffolding to elevate some of the mid-level plants and give a good sense of perspective.

6. A new day

A new day

Love the time lapse and details about the bones, like an X-ray :)

Stunning tank, and yes even though not much of the hardscape is visible now, it definitely provides the necessary structure.

JimmyHD likes this.
  7. A new day

A new day

Super blonde question but how do you guys get the photos to be integrated with the text in the right place?

I can only manage to type the words, then upload the pics which then all appear at the end of the post.

8. OP
    JimmyHD

JimmyHD

Bit of a novice myself, but I drag the photo (e.g., from a folder or from my desktop) into the text box of the web browser where I'm typing, and then the photo appears in a list underneath the text box. I then select the "Insert Full Image" button and it pops the image into the text at the cursor. Use the Preview option at the end to check out your post and make sure that the images are where they should be. Not sure if this is the best way, but it's what I do. Seems to work.

A new day likes this.
  9. A new day

A new day

Ok cool thanks!
    So as far as you know not doable from phone / iPad?

10. OP
    JimmyHD

JimmyHD

Ah, I see your difficulty. No idea, sorry!

A new day likes this.
  11. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I normally type what ever, then tap on upload a file, then the Pic shows on a list beneath the text box, then I click insert full image, then I try tap beneath the picture to carry on typing. If you look carefully next to the Pic on the bottom right that line that shows where you're busy typing should be right alongside the picture..
    LOL I hope this makes sense..

A new day likes this.
  12. A new day

A new day

Cool thanks! Do you do this on your mobile devices also?

13. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Yip, in fact for me it's just easier to take the picture on my phone and upload it straight instead of trying to put it on my pc first

A new day and rsa like this.
  14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

The way @T. Guppy works both from mobile or laptop/pc

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  15. A new day

A new day

Thanks a mil!

MariaS likes this.

Recent Posts