New build - 1.45 x 600 x 450

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by BradK, May 15, 2019.

1. eros111

eros111

Its' called an 'overflow comb' most pet shops sell them in strips of about 500mm, the overflow will never get clogged up using that along the top of the overflow. For the holes in the sides, Plastic World sell a green small size mesh, cut it to size and stick on with silicone.
    Ok the white pipes I am talking about are the 50mm plumbing pipes - like the ones under the sink or bath going out to waste. Most pipes going in to the bath or kitchen are usually copper pipes. so no drinking water gets to the the white vpipes.
    PVC weld totally safe after it has dried ( an hour) - just remember to sandpaper the inside of the union the pipe and the outside of the 50mm pipe, put PVC weld on and shove the fitting on and always give it a 1/4 turn - totally seals the connection

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. Guest

3. OP
    BradK

BradK

This is what's on my overflow box
    20200124_140253.jpg
    I want to block the bottom 2 grids and only leave the single row if blocks. I like the water level to be high. I wonder if that's a good idea . I like the green mesh idea, or are these grids sufficient, I dnt want fish going in.

So i was going to a take a drive to builders and check pvc fittings, the normal white ones. But i decided to quickly Google irrigation shops. What do u know found this spot. African Pipes Valves & Fittings. Best part they were 2 mins away. So I came up with this
    20200124_144501.jpg

Everything screws on and a 25mm pipe attaches for the return and 50mm for the overflow, bigger one. I will pick up the pipes on Wednesday, as they only had very long ones.

The smaller fitting is smaller than my 25mm hole (diameter), for the return pipe, But the two gaskets cover properly and fits snug. Is it a good idea to apply some silicone after I tighten. I plan to hand tighten,, is that sufficient?

The pipes fit very snug on the ends/union, very difficult to pull them out. Must I still use pvc weld?
    One thing I hope wint be an issue, is the internal diameter of the fittings is slightly smaller than 50mm and 25mm, will this restrict the flow too much?

If any leaks occur at these fittings it's going to drip straight into my sump anyway, but hoping it doesn't.

Tmrw will try and get some glass cut, to convert my 3foot into a sump. Wish me luck, I think I know what I'm doing. I finally feel like this build is moving, took me so long. Cant wait to get fish in. I've decided on Corries and Rams. Not sure what else will yet.

eros111 likes this.
  4. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Sorry for your loss:( didn't even know it could be toxic I thought eveyone used the white stuff

eros111 likes this.
  5. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@eros111

I did not say the sump needed so many compartments
    I posted the drawing of my 2m sump simply to show the way the water should flow
    Obviously the number of compartments is relative to sump size,

eros111 and Whoknows like this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@eros111
    As for the white pipes we have 6 tanks with white pipes on stumps automatic water changes and drip systems and none have been toxic
    It is possible though that the ones you bought had been next to or in contact with something toxic during storage

Innocent159, eros111 and BradK like this.
  7. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Depends what fish you have
    I need the water in the first compartment to flow down through batting and under to the 3and compartment so that debris is forced to be trapped in the batting before getting to the media
    If the water flows over heavy debris like pieces of fish, dont always flow over and if they do they go into the next compartment which I dont want
    My heaters go in the compartment before the pump
    The sump I posted is to cope with heavy feeding and bio load
    Each tank has different needs

8. RaXoR_ZA

RaXoR_ZA

this just saved another few fishy lives. Bought the white pipes last weekend for my new sump. Good thing I stuffed up the welding and the pipe is now unusable. Going to buy the blue pipes tomorrow :D

eros111 likes this.
  9. iMG

iMG

Ahh yes, now you can tell I've never kept something with a bioload as big as yours lol, with my community setup the first safety chamber is a blessing, especially since my white could minnows aren't the smartest and I catch one out of the safety chamber everyday

10. OP
    BradK

BradK

Read MariaS post,, maybe it not all pipes. I only went for the blue pipes and fittings because I found a place close to home. In still interested in the pipes debate.

eros111 likes this.
  11. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Any news on this tank??

You can't let me finish before you:lol:

12. OP
    BradK

BradK

You gona ,, cos I'm moving into a apartment . Buy guess what the tank is going with. And will start with he new apartment.

Everytime I want to start this tank ,I just change something. But now it will be built into the cabinetry. In the new apartment.

Whoknows likes this.
  13. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

Finally at long last it might get some water in it :thumbup:

Waiting patiently for the end result :)

14. OP
    BradK

BradK

You dnt know how patient I'm being. It's wrapped in plastic for over a year now. Can't wait to plant it.

Whoknows and A new day like this.
  15. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

I'm sure you want to rip that open so badly :lol:

16. OP
    BradK

BradK

Once in a while ,, I peel open the side and imagine.

Whoknows and A new day like this.
  17. Whoknows

Whoknows Moderator

I'll be back next year to ask for updates again :lol:

18. OP
    BradK

BradK

So my tank was built in June 2019. It never saw water ☹️. I know I promised many times I will be starting and finishing up.

But it was delay after delay. First was waiting for someone to build the cupboards, then I hurt my back. I recovered and was ready to go and there was talks of moving. So pause. Then decided to start a business. Tank on hold again. Finally decided to do it, I moved . Moved in November 2020. Needed someone to safely delivered it. Got Covid, pause again☹️.

Finally today the tank is in its final resting spot. Test fitting everything. I'm not giving up. I can't wait and excited again.

No promises or deadline's but it's getting done. I feel settled after along time. This will be my project to get back my sanity ..lol.IMG_20210122_110121.jpg

Cale24, Whoknows and A new day like this.
  19. OP
    BradK

BradK

Was wondering if I need a rubber mat or something under the stand. Will the tiles be fine.

20. A new day

A new day Moderator

BradK likes this.
  21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Once it is up and running, am sure will be worth the wait :thumbup:

Recent Posts