New Journey Begins

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MadHatter, May 28, 2021.

1. Jason182

Jason182

@MadHatter , thanks again for your knowledge mate, I see there's is a place selling it not even 5kms from my house! R40 for 500ml

MadHatter likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    MadHatter

MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

Yea go for it, I’d recommend to buy fertilizer for them as well, especially the F2, it makes cultivating them a TON easier.

Just an FYI, if you see the first baby Amano’s remove like 20% of the water and fill it up with cold water real quick, try and do this at night tho, next morning you’ll have a ton of babies everywhere, and if you don’t have time to remove them in the morning just leave them till the evening.

Also I’m not sure how you’ll handle the female as if you have a strong filter running you’ll just suck up all the babies, I’d recommend running a sponge filter with a high ppi, havent had issues with them.

Also, people say getting to the 12 day mark is the hardest, which is absolutely bs in my opinion, at the 20-21 day mark they are MUCH more sensitive for some reason, or in my case atleast, I’d just look at them funny and they drop dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason182 and A new day like this.
  4. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Stop looking at them then :D

A new day and MadHatter like this.
  5. Jason182

Jason182

@MadHatter thanks a lot mate, sorry I'm only responding now, hectic day at work, and I gotta work tomorrow so fml I guess:mad:, I have set up the tank for the female, I'm using a sponge filter as you suggested. Thanks again for the advice, I don't know how the heck you acquired all the knowledge, I think you should write a book on breeding Amanos:thumbup:

MadHatter likes this.
  6. OP
    MadHatter

I have no idea what I’m doing, I read loads of articles and some people that go in to depth on info on amano shrimp and what they have found in zoeas when cutting them open ext to see what they feed on and and and.

But I still have no idea what im doing, I have 10 tanks that I run tests with on amano shrimp zoeas and then my main tank that I share on here, but the main tank is also a prototype system that I have built.

There is still 1 experiment I would like to try but still figuring out how to do it, I’m still faaar away from having the knowledge to write a book, for now I wont even be able to pass the introduction .

[​IMG]

The 2 tubs on the left is what I use for my Amano’s, I use to move them to the one on the right but there is no point really, so now im just keeping them in 1 and the other one is acting as my quarantine setup.

Ignore the mess we are closing the lapa so had to move a bunch of crap around.

Jason182 likes this.
  7. Jason182

Jason182

Wow that is a MAJOR set up, definitely a bit more advanced than ice cream containers!:lol:

MadHatter likes this.
  8. OP
    MadHatter

Sooo little update,

Did a 20% water change today on all my tanks after medicating them as a precaution, also cleaned out my 150L sump and holy cow was that thing dirty within the short time it was running.

Honestly need to find a better way to do my waterchanges as 20% is currently about 200L on all my tanks and I fill it up using 10L bottles takes freaking ages.

Use to use the hosepipe but then I have to dose for the entire system then I go through water conditioners like no ones business.

Also doing about 20L a day on just top ups, sometimes a little more.

Anyways…..

Will be installing these tomorrow

[​IMG]

Still need 2 more lights for the top shelf but they can come later.

Store had a 50% off sale today and I paid 75 bucks a pop, really not bad.

Also running a little experiment on raising tanks/whatever you want to use them for tanks.

[​IMG]

This is a 10L tank with 2 male endlers in it just to cycle the system. Also has a battery powered submersible RGB light with a remote installed, can set timers on it and a whole bunch of cool stuff, little on the pricey side but totally worth it haha.

We will be seeing how they work, got 2x 10L tubs 1x 20L tub 1x 25L tub.

[​IMG]

Got some new shrimp too, Bloody mary and Painted fire red mix. Stunning little buggers and I got them for a steal.

[​IMG]

Mmmm and I think thats it, thats all I can remember atleast

Ohh wait, getting some goldfish for my 10 000L above ground pool that I’m turning in to a pond. Its from people breaking down their pond as it’s leaking and they need to rehome the goldfish so ill be taking them over as well as some awesome lilies, I’ll share some pics of those as soon as I get them, still wondering what else to add. And I still need to sort out the intake on the filter I built for the pool as there is a 1hp motor sucking water like a crazy person through there, didn’t expect it to be that powerful, deffos need to figure out a way to seal that intake otherwise I’m going to have goldfish chum real soon.

Also need to get some sort of substrate in the pool or just run it bare bottom. I’m thinking of running it bare bottom and just hook up the creepy crawly to suck up all the crap from the bottom every now and then.

Radesh, Shabir, Reedfish and 2 others like this.
  9. OP
    MadHatter

Sooo new lights are in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the one row atleast.

Set up this 25L for cull shrimp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also added some elbows and pipes just because I can and now I don’t have to move it to drain water.

Other than that, not much to update on.

Major updates will also be rolling in slower, starting to take it slow.

FYI, don’t look at the mess. Hard to keep it clean and build multiple things at the same time.

Also, going on round 4 pretty soon for Amano’s, my temp went up by 2.5 degrees which I didn’t think would be an issue, as it was a slow increase over hours and I wasn’t home anyways to check and adjust, anyways they didn’t like it and I’m PISSED they were doing so well shit happens I guess, also running more than 1 marine system now, main systems. So will see how that goes.

I’ll need to install cooling during the summer as my room easily hits 35 degrees if not more, highly doubt a fan would cool that, or atleast I know for a fact it won’t hold my water temp where it needs to be.

Might just do crap tons of ice, think that would be the best bet.

Innocent159, Whoknows and Reedfish like this.
  10. OP
    MadHatter

Well I’m officially pulling 2000 units a month on power just running my tanks

Shabir likes this.
  11. Shabir

Shabir

That's a damn lot man. You got an uncle in Eskom?

MadHatter likes this.
  12. OP
    MadHatter

My grandfather worked in eskom, my mother worked there as well as my mother’s husband why do you ask? Lmao

13. Shabir

Shabir

AHH I see. You on a family discount plan

MadHatter likes this.
  14. OP
    MadHatter

Pfff I wish, its well over 8k a month

Edit: 2000 units are only my tanks, not all the other stuff as well

15. Shabir

Shabir

I was thinking the same. That's crazy High

16. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

Get some solar pannels on your roof

MadHatter likes this.
  17. OP
    MadHatter

I wish, that craps expensive.

And to be honest I’d much rather run an inverter and charge batteries from normal power than running solar pannels.

Basically run them at night when its coldest and run normal power during the day.

Whoknows likes this.
  18. OP
    MadHatter

Ready, steady, GO!!

[​IMG]

Still has to be filled up and the top still has to be done neatly. Also adding some water lilies pretty soon.

Edit: TDS is currently 600 but filling it up with water with a TDS of 35, as soon as the rain comes I’ll do a major waterchange. (Yes all the water in the pool is rain water haha)

Edit 2: PH is at 6.5 and temp is at 10C still need to sort out heating. Might do cold water fish for now and when the heating is sorted might move over to other larger fish.

Innocent159 likes this.
  19. OP
    MadHatter

Sooooo. Even tho I hate guppies, I got offered a bunch and a mate and I bought them all, counted 140 but there were some that we missed.

My phone died unfortunately and its lights out on my tanks so I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

Edit: Also have 3 rescue gold fish in the pool pond, they are enjoying life and getting 10+ monsters on the weekend as well as some lilies from a mate who is shutting down his pond.

Went through a couple bottles of beneficial bacteria, also added some freshwater clams in there a couple days ago and they seem to be doing great, I have tested the water and everything looks good, think its due to the fact that it has been chlorine free water for well over 6 months.

I’ll be keeping an eye on the parameters when I add in the monsters, just to make sure everything stays stable.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  20. OP
    MadHatter

21. OP
    MadHatter

Sooo update time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately don’t have pics of everything.

Got in a bunch of fish, around 1000 guppies

Got 56 BN plecos

Bought over 400 sakura red cherry shrimp to add to my breeding colony but ended up only adding around 200 and moved the rest to a cull tank as they weren’t up to my standards.

Added around 10 water lilies to the pool pond and 17 more massive gold fish putting the total on 20 goldfish in the pond now.

Also picked up around 120 betta fish today, they look absolutely amazing and got a couple of pairs going for breeding which I’m stoked about.

Sold off all my yellow shrimp as they weren’t doing it for me.

Couple of pure strain dumbo mosaic guppies as well (around 50)

Working on my own line of endlers which is going really well, waiting for around 40 babies to show color to know if im finally there or not.

I’ve been playing around with the Amano’s and 26 degrees up to 28 degrees seems to be the sweet spot for them to start breeding.

Uuuuhm, I believe thats it but im not sure feels like there needs to be more but I’m not sure what.

Innocent159, Cale24 and A new day like this.

Recent Posts