New Planted Set-up

Discussion in 'Full tank shots' started by TetraJacques, Aug 13, 2019.

1. A new day

A new day

Yes my next tank-in-planning is a lot of driftwood with anubias, java fern (normal, narrow, trident, windelov), crypts, swords, bolbitis, mosses, susswassertang, ludwigia etc that should all do well with moderate-low light. I’m going to aim for a nature style but might end up jungle style again, I can’t seem to help myself :lol:

Probably with angels, harlequin rasboras and cories. Didn’t plan on doing it this year, but I just saw a secondhand Juwel Rio 240 (with filter, lights and heater) at less than half price.... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    T. Guppy likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

When it comes to aquarium style, I like nature style aquariums but I also like stem plants, especially rotalas. Thats why my current tank is 90% stems and 10% other.
    Many sites recommend you must design your layout before planting but I cant see the final picture in my mind. Im a Civil Draughtsman, not a landscape designer lol ;)
    I must admit, this scape was the first one where I actually looked for specific plants and did my home work on each one. From how long it takes to grow to the final look once its settled.
    I usually buy what's available in Nelspruit and put it in my tank and so call -wing it- to a final look.

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  4. A new day

A new day

Your research and persistence in getting the scape right shows in the end result and it’s not even grown out yet :thumbup:

5. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Thanks, I'll send an update at the end of the month. I did a small trim a couple of nights ago. This star grass grows super quick and it's been in for a week.

A new day likes this.
  6. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Quick update, did some cleaning up of old leaves today and moved the Ludwigia to a better spot. Mind the java moss. I bought it all dull like that. It's getting greener more and more every day.

A lot must still happen to the tank. I can't remember which of the emerged plants I planted where lol :lol:

The Staurogyne repens must still fill up the bottom right of the tank.
    DSC_0243.JPG DSC_0244.JPG DSC_0245.JPG DSC_0246.JPG DSC_0247.JPG

louwla83, Cale24, MariaS and 2 others like this.
  7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looking amazing @TetraJacques

Some fantastic growth and looking healthy

TetraJacques likes this.
  8. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Hi TASA,

Stupid question about CO2 setup. Do I need to get the small bubbles all over the tank for the plants to absorb the CO2 or do I need to try and keep the bubbles in the water for as long as possible before it goes to the surface??? :oops:

I tried getting the bubbles over the entire tank the with help of a wave maker. Problem I have here, because its mostly stem plants, everything goes flat because of the pressure from the wave maker.

I've now installed the spray bar received with the canister filter and all by plants stay upright atleast :lol: and the co2 is circulating in the front of the tank. Also not a lot of the bubbles are reaching the surface.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm new to CO2 in a planted tank and would like the get the best results out if it.

I hope the bubbles are visible in the photo's
    DSC_0250.JPG DSC_0249.JPG

louwla83 likes this.
  9. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Hi TASA, some advise or help here please:confused:
    I just did my water test and my PH is at 6 :eek:
    This is a big shock to me as I have never had it this low before. Should I be worried about ?

I read now that Cardinals and Cory's prefer 4.6 - 6.2 and most tetras 5.5 - 7.5, on the list below I have silver tips in the tank. (Check link for list) https://atlantis-aquatics.com/ph-for-freshwater-fish/

My one glow light is not doing good. He / she is lying at the bottom of the tank and gasping for air. All the other fish as doing perfectly.

List of fish in tank:
    Glow lights x 8
    Cardinals x 3
    Silver tips x 2
    Phantom tetra x 1

Water perimeters:
    KH: 2
    PH: 6
    NO2: 0.05
    NO3: 1
    NH: 0.05

CO2 is at 1.5 bubbles per second (94 bubbles a minute)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. Cale24

Cale24

Not sure what your tap hardness and PH is out the tap there? The ADA substrate is buffering it down to 6 and will be leeching a lot of ammonia for a while. Good that you started the tank heavily planted.
    Low PH becomes an issue when you have very low KH (so at 0 KH you will get PH swings, but the nitrates would need to be higher for that issue). You'll want KH at around 4 ideally to ensure the cycling process goes quicker usually, although given you have fish in the tank I expect it will not take too much longer. If you do want to raise it, get some Seachem Alkaline buffer. Works well.

I'd do daily 30% water changes until your nitrites/ NO2 is at 0. You should be seeing the nitrates/ NO3 higher, around 10-15.
    I don't use CO2 but that adds more to the equation and others would have to chime in on that? Not very familiar with all of those fish' needs either. What temperature is the tank at?

A new day likes this.
  11. A new day

A new day

Yes the Amazonia is designed to drop the pH, no?

12. Cale24

Cale24

Yup, my tap PH is usually around 8 and my ADA tank sits around 6.8. It was lower at first as well, during cycling.
    That large piece of wood will probably also be contributing to it.

A new day likes this.
  13. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I haven't tested the tap water yet, but PH were usually around 6.8 to 7 for the past 2 years prior to setting up the new tank. Though it was before I used the ADA and I did read it buffers the PH. CO2 also affects KH and PH when it's on, but I didn't expect it to drop that much. CO2 is measured on a chart, taking the value's of KH and PH. Looking at my results it shows my CO2 is at 60ppm and that's deadly but the fish aren't showing any signs of poisoning. I think I added the fish on Sunday morning. My lights and CO2 only goes on in the afternoon.

I did little more that 20% water change last night (90l water capacity - 20l water change). I'll do another every night and monitor water perimeters for the next week. I still have another 7 X'rays (Pristella) tetras and 2 pepper cory's that's in my quarantine tank, but I will wait another couple of weeks before adding them. I do not want to loose any of these fish. They cheap and only tetras I know but I have had them since I started this hobby two years ago.

Is there a possibility that my test kit could be expired ?

Cale24 likes this.
  14. A new day

A new day

My tapwater is pH 7 but because the water is so soft the pH drops after 2 weeks or so. I still haven’t sorted out my own pH problem yet.

Don’t know anything about CO2 injection (too scared of it :lol:) but if I remember correctly from earlier in the thread you start the CO2 an hour before lights on? Could you start it an hour after lights on so that the plants can start photosynthesis before the extra CO2 hits? Even just in the interim. Once again, I know nothing about CO2 injection so hopefully others will chime in also.

TetraJacques likes this.
  15. Cale24

Cale24

Test kits do expire yeah - there should be a date on the packaging? Before replacing though, have the same test done to a sample of your water at a LFS, to compare against.

A new day and TetraJacques like this.
  16. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Yes CO2 an hour before lights. Funny enough I'm also actually a bit scared of this CO2 thing but it's just the unknown.

Anyway, I'm not convinced this is a CO2 problem. My drop checker shows PH is around 6.5 to 6.8 for KH between 2 and 7 degrees and that's at about 9 at night. By this time the lights has been on for 6 hours and the CO2 for 7 hours.
    Actuall times I'm using is:
    14:00 - 22:00 = CO2 is on
    15:00 - 23:00 = Lights are on

I think my PH test is old. I'll have a look tonight if I see an expiry date on the thing. Problem is, I've got the JBL combi set. So if its expired the entire thing is no good.

A new day likes this.
  17. A new day

A new day

Your cycling process seems to be going well!

18. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

That seems to be going well and to add I've got the cherry shrimps in the tank as well and they also doing perfect. I'm kind of glad i got them. It just makes things a bit more interesting. One thing I've realised is they know how to clean. All that white stuff I had on the wood are gone and there's hardly any algae except for some thread algae here and there but that's normal.

Plants are also going crazy now. I cut back again last night. Some I could replant but I chucked a handful of plants in the bin :eek:

Would rather have shared it with the members from TASA

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  19. A new day

A new day

Awesome, things are really happening! Wonder if you could sell some clippings to your lfs / trade for store credit? Seeing that there aren’t other TASA members close by to take them off your hands :)

20. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

That can work I suppose. Great idea to make extra cash for the next setup lol

A new day likes this.
  21. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@TetraJacques , you do get individual test kits from JBL
    I have just bought the Ammonia one on its own so im sure if they sell the one they will sell the others individually so just check

Just as a matter of interest, i have 2 Sera Ammonia test kkits both with same date but expired
    Last week I was checking my pup tank water and one gave me 0.5 ammonia and the other 0 ammonia, as i said, both had same day expiry date as they both came with the full test it
    So the difference between the two was 0.5

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts