PIMP your HOB

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by f-fish, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jpvd007

jpvd007 Retired Moderator

will do thanks
    :call2:

2. Guest

3. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Pimping the Cascade 300

cascade300.jpg

Filter sponge on the inlet, bio ceramics (JBL) in the pot, filter sponge on the overflow.

cascade300.jpg

4. Barry.M

Barry.M

Here's a trick I use to make the hole in the pre-filter sponge to fit over the intake pipe.
    Take your sponge, cut to the size and shape you want. Then put it into a clean, empty margarine tub. Fill with tap water until level with the top of the sponge. Put it in the deep freeze overnight. In the morning it should be frozen solid!
    Now just take a sharp drill bit 2mm smaller than your filter intake pipe and drill a centre hole to the depth you need. Next, place the tub with frozen, drilled sponge into the kitchen sink, fill with warm water and allow to defrost.
    Rinse it afterwards and you will have a neat, perfectly fitting sponge pre filter. Just slip it onto your intake pipe and you're done!

Sent from my iPhone using 100% recycled words!

5. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

brilliant tip .. thanks

6. Barry.M

Barry.M

Pleasure Ferdie,
    Another little thing I've done before is to get my intake and outflow as far apart as possible. I put the HOB in the one corner, measure 4mm below the rim of the tank and mark where the HOB overflow hangs in the tank. I then cut the lip off at the 4mm mark. To the shortened outlet lip, I attach, using 3 small stainless steel screws, a 30mm PVC pipe, cut in half. This pipe runs from the HOB to about 5cm from the opposite corner, slightly sloping down. At the HOB outlet, the pipe is flush with the rim of the tank remember the 4mm overhang is where I slip the PVC pipe under and put the screws to hold it there. I then make two or three plastic hooks to support the pipe, making sure that they allow the pipe to hang 4mm below the rim of the tank at the furthest point from the filter outlet. The water falls into the half-pipe and runs to the opposite side of the tank and falls into the tank there, ensuring a much better circulation throughout the tank! Remember to buy an end cap to fit the PVC pipe. You must block the end of the pipe, where it attaches to the HOB, otherwise your water will pour out there and defeat the object. If you wish, you can use a bigger diameter PVC pipe... Say 60mm diameter pipe block the high end and place a bit of plastic mesh at the opposite end. Fill it with coarse gravel and plant some stems and other plants in it. (Bacoppa works well) not only will you have a ready supply of bacoppa, but you will also fave created an extra "vegie filter" to compliment your HOB.
    BTW most of my tanks are open top, so it's easy for me to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using 100% recycled words!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  7. Marius Swart

Marius Swart Guppies

Nice tips, will be pimping mine out in the week to come

8. Caudelia

Caudelia

please can you post a pic of this?

9. Barry.M

Barry.M

Hi Caudelia,

Unfortunately, I don't have the tank or HOB that the above mod was done to anymore. I also neglected to take photo's of the mod at the time.
    If you google, "How to Awesome-ize Your HOB Power Filter with Just a Plastic Cup" you will find a very similar DIY. The guy used a plastic cup instead of a PVC pipe. I used the pipe because I wanted the outlet as far away from the HOB inlet..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. Caudelia

Caudelia

ok will do - ty

11. RoGe

RoGe

@f-fish I'm bumping this cool little thread (for all those members who weren't around two years ago) but I also wanted to ask about your experience with the Cascade 200 that you posted photos of in the first page of this thread. Don't you feel that the bottom half of the media chamber sees barely any flow?

I worry that because the pumped flow enters the media chamber about halfway up the height (and obviously from one side), and then overflows into the tank that there is bypassing through the media chamber directly from inlet to overflow outlet. There is no forced upflow from the bottom of the media chamber. I've removed the Cascade cartridges and just put Matrix in, but worried that since most of the Matrix lies at the bottom of the chamber it would simply be bypassed by the flow. So what I've done is left the filter floss cartridge in, which should present most of the pressure drop, and therefore even out the flow across the vertical cross-section of the chamber, and then placed all my Matrix on the outflow side of that cartridge. As the filter floss gets blocked in the high flow areas, it should also then divert flow to the less blocked areas (at the bottom), causing some sort of upflow through the Matrix. I am certain that the flow pattern will not be ideal, but I think it's a good compromise which allows me to use replaceable, efficient media (matrix) rather than only expensive cartridges.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. RoGe

RoGe

I've done the same on my inlet (cut into the sponge, then again at 90degrees), but bought a Resun Magi-700 replacement sponge for R45 for the purpose - got two filter inlet sponge guards out of it.

13. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Hi RoGE ..

Indeed most HOB's have a some sort of dead spot the minute on starts to move away from the media ... On most I have given up and just add my filter foam on the inlet and fill the pot with matrix or good quality ceramics. Almost never clean the ceramics but flush the foam every few months.

HOB and filter floss does not work so lekker for me, get clogged way to quickly.

Nice find on the resun sponge - I keep an eye opem for the scap bins at some LFS shops they seem to have an endless supply of sponge sometimes.

Later Ferdie

14. Jwh

Jwh

I tossed everything that was in the filter ( screen, carbon, floss etc), added ceramic rings with foam on the intake, worked fine for me

15. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

100% it is almost as if that is what a HOB really should be ..

Nice big feeding station inside the tank and a good volume external for pump and ceramics. All this with the benefit of good oxidization when the water hist the surface. All them fancy media that gets added in the box I am not always 100% sure of.

Hmm all this said - just checked my big aquaclear I only have sponge - on intake , and two in the pot - suddenly it does not feel right, have a big urge to add matrix. Ag no man you guys made me look.

Later Ferdie

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  16. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Recently purchased an aquaclear 50 on a takealot special. In the past I have used my trusty 300 (70) to add extra filtration when needed. But for the last week or so I have removed the sponge that comes with the 50 and focused on using it as a water polisher in 36 degrees. What we really surprising was how well the pump sucked up duckweed. Something about the throw, inlet size and overall configuration makes the 50 way more useful on my tanks than say the 300.

upload_2017-9-23_21-54-16.png

1) I ended up only using the ceramics that ships with the 50.
    2,4,5) Batting is used as my polishing media, but is caches more than just ADA dust.
    3) your favorite resin baggie fits perfect in the 50 ... good flow all around.
    4) In the lower part of the pot the duckweed would get caught, this is also the main flow path, but it can get clogged.
    5) A batting lip helps to catch some of the overflow ...

Keen to get my paws on another 50 to confirm the duickweed removal prowess ... wonder when it will be on special again.

Later Ferdie

17. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

So not all HOB's are the same when it comes to how well they pimp.

As an example I have been running the liberty twins on the 3ft tanks with the HMF and the ceramics only media for years - almost 6 I think, without it skipping a beat. So how would the Eheim 150 compare against the aquaclear 50 in the filter floss pimping.

Grabbed the 150 from its box .. lets see.

upload_2017-9-23_22-26-34.png

Above is the best water polishing configuration I can get with this HOB ... loads of duckweed that need some pickup. Will check back tomorrow on how things are going.

Later Ferdie

18. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Thanks @f-fish for reviving this thread. Only hob I use almost as supplied is the ac20 and 30 I have. Removed the carbon and added a inlet sponge and extra batting in the chamber. On the 3 Dophins I have I removed the pads and filled up with ceramic rings with batting underneath the inlet and sponge on inlet. Best sponge imo for inlets, which is freely available, is the ac sponge. Get the 110 one and cut to size. Last for years.

Just very sad that @Barry.M is not active on the forum anymore. King of diy in my oppinion

f-fish likes this.
  19. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Yeah ... one needs to keep the flow going, agree we have lost a few good hobbyist over the years.

FYI disconnected the Eheim 150 again .. did zero for picking up duckweed. Hunting for another Ac50 will have to wait for another special, normal prices are a bit ouch.

Not sure why but you re 100% correct with the AC sponges lasting extra long - they also trap dirty better - weird but true.

Later Ferdie

20. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

The AC 50 has been doing a great job as a water polisher, I now only run the batting and the resin in it. The one big issue I was having - it eats fry .... loads and loads of them - well guppy fry. They seem to be stupid and swim towards the current till it is too late or the draw is too strong and they get sucked up. So after watching this happen time after time and not wanting to put a pre-filter on the HOB I did this.
    KPiU2w4onCLRvV6868VgNWzwr7P3K7pii53pLJgKFKlwYab30DE-fFTWNBE9_ZUwq96ugUDxiL-dPc3oLSo=w534-h949-no.jpg

The upshot - and this has now been some 72 hours ... not a single fry in the HOB. You see them approach the net pot - they feel the pull probably spot the pot and move away while the draw is still low.
    Another nice thing for polishing, the inlet seems to less prone to clogging with big leave and stuff.

Later Ferdie

21. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Recent Posts