Pink/red zebra danios

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by RoGe, Jan 12, 2015.

1. RoGe

RoGe

Hi all,

So a bit of a random post, but what is the feeling on red zebra danios? My wife convinced me to get them because she liked their color, and I'm actually really enjoying them.. But upon reading, i see that they're actually genetically modified, and are the first genetically modified animal in the world to be sold.. Apparently they're trademarked as Glo-fish, but they were just labeled as red zebra danios when i bought them.. I see that they're also illegal in the EU, Australia and California..

So i have to say, I'm not sure how i feel about them now.. I'd also think that theoretically they'd breed with natural zebra danios, wouldn't they? I'm not gonna do it, but surely they have the potential to interfere with the natural fish?

Just interested in thoughts and opinions...

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

GM's are better than dyed / painted fish. I would even say that I have had some of these and they lasted long 4.5 years or so and had some offspring still with the glow colour, but the offspring did not breed again. I prefer the danio to say a parrot.

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts