Tank Redo

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by T. Guppy, Oct 1, 2019.

1. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thanks!
    I'll give it some time then too and see if that helps!

@MariaS and @A new day thank you! I'll move the heater, and that rock, I do need to top up very soon anyways, I also like the water line as high as possible, unfortunately on the 3ft there's a light that sits on the edges of the tank, it's not stuck to the hood because I have a blue light attached there, so the hood doesn't actually fit on the tank properly. It is on my list to fix soon though because it really doesn't look so nice like that plus whenever I feed I have to actually lift the hood because the light is in the way lol

But thank you for those tips!! Once I fix the hood I'll enter it in Totm!

Cale24, MariaS and A new day like this.
  2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

Just crop the hood out of the fts :thumbup:

4. A new day

A new day

5. Whoknows

Whoknows

Tanks are looking great.

T. Guppy likes this.
  6. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Greetings to all!

Thought I'd do an update again. The plants are growing well in my 3ft, and in my 30l nothing has changed except the cories are big enough to go to new homes. My niece asked for them all so I'll be giving them to her soon, and also I grew out some guppy babies and they're all happy and well.
    IMG_20200312_204931.jpg

Only issues I've had recently are some deaths in my 3ft, and the only thing I can think of that caused it was an increase in temperature. :(
    I reeeeeeeeeeaallly want a pair of Rams so I decided to increase the temp to 27 degrees to see how my fish coped, and with outside temperatures being as they are, the tank seems to go over 27 degrees and I dont have fans or anything to try lower the temperature. As a result I've lost 3 guppies, 2 neon tetras (but 1 actually got stuck behind the filter and by the time I saw him in the morning and got him out he'd hurt himself and didn't make it) and 3 otos. So I've brought the temperature right back down again to 24 on the heater, so hopefully things will stabilize again.

So due this, I've figured rams might not be an option for me anymore. So now I'm on the hunt for a feature fish for this tank, something that can live well in a community tank but is also bright and colorful. My tank is now just green with mostly silver fish so I'm looking for some sparkle lol, any suggestions?
    Also now looking for something for my 30l once the cories go to their new home. I wanted to do pea puffers but now I feel bad buying them if I don't know where they came from. So unless someone is breeding them I'll need to change that plan too:confused:

Cale24 and A new day like this.
  7. A new day

A new day

Tank is looking beautiful @T. Guppy :thumbup:

I’m quite developing a liking for subtle/silver fish tbh. They’re interesting to watch from close by, perhaps not visible on a FTS.

Anyway fir some colour: Bolivian rams? Platys? Serpae tetra? Congo tetra? Rainbow fish? Some of the more peaceful barbs are quite colorful.

T. Guppy likes this.
  8. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thank you @A new day!
    I really enjoy watching them swim up and down as well, especially when they school together.
    And I saw some Congo tetra at one of the lfs and I was really captivated by them! So they're definitely on the list.
    But then I've always liked a splash of colour here and there, which is why I want just 1 or 2 bigger colorful fish (after all I painted my studying room all Grey and then put in bright yellow curtains for that "splash" :lol:)
    I'm not too keen on more live bearers as I've still got guppies, and I also looked at serpae tetras today, they are very pretty and quite a nice red too! I'll go look into the rainbows and barbs some more.

Thank you for the ideas!

A new day likes this.
  9. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

The tank is looking stunning @T. Guppy

I know what you mean by a colorful feature fish, as a feature you also want something a little bigger that stands out.. I would go look at Rainbows...
    There are different species that grow to different sizes and beautiful colors and they active little guys

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  10. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thanks @MariaS!
    I'll look at them first then! :D

Whoknows and MariaS like this.
  11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Just google a few of the species so you can see what they will look like when adults as often rainbows are under rated because when small at the LFS they hardly show any color
    I think @Pezulu can throw some more light on this

T. Guppy likes this.
  12. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

The boesmani is really pretty but looks like they get quite big for a 3ft. Or would the be ok do you think?

13. A new day

A new day

T. Guppy and Whoknows like this.
  14. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

Rainbows have always been a firm favourite of mine, and I have kept quite a few of them over the years.
    Boesemani, Red, Dwarf Neon and Threadfins all do well in larger community tanks.
    They are sociable fish, and prefer to be kept 5-6 together.
    If you keep just males, there will be a dominant male, that will continuously chase and harass the other males.
    3 males to 3 females is about the right combination.

Another firm favourite of mine is Harlequin Rasbora.
    A school of 10 - 15 will do very well in a 3ft tank.
    They are very hardy fish, with few issues, and grow to about 4cm.
    The orange/bronze and blue/black colouration looks stunning when they school together.

15. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Oh OK, so then rainbows are probably not n option for this size tank either...
    Hmm it's starting to look like my best solution is to just get another bigger tank :lol:

The harlequin rasbora is also very pretty! I think with all these options you guys have suggested, next time I go to a lfs (I'll probs make a trip to boksburg where there's quite a few different shops) and see what they have out of these options that fits the budget and catches my eye.

Thanks to everyone!! :thumbup:

Oh also what about apistogrammas?

A new day likes this.
  16. nealos6

nealos6

Hey! Loving the tank. What light are you using on the 3ft? Also have a look at Paradise fish for a nice centerpiece!

T. Guppy likes this.
  17. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thanks @nealos6!
    I use 2 lights, one is a marine space zp4000-30m which was too short for this tank so I bought a long one with white LEDs as well as RBG LEDs, I don't have the box anymore so I can't check the name of it but it wasn't a brand I've heard of before, plus it was a more cheaper light than most. It's definitely nothing fancy, but does have a dimming effect, can interchange between just white, just RBG or mixed. I use it together with the marine space which I set on just blue so that it helps get rid of that yellowy effect planted tanks can sometimes get.

I looked up paradise fish, they're stunning! But all the sites say they can be quite aggressive

18. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

Honey Dwarf Gourami are also stunning fish, and you could easily keep 6-10 in a 3ft tank.
    As long as they is sufficient open space, as well as hiding spots, they should do well.
    They are very peaceful, and utilise the entire tank when swimming about.
    They stay reasonably small, unlike some of the other Gourami species.

20200125_103824.jpg

German Blue Rams are gaining in popularity, and are colourful small cichlids.
    A breeding pair will give you hours of entertainment, and look great.
    Once a breeding pair is established they breed quite easily and often.

20170809_135659.jpg

Cale24 and T. Guppy like this.
  19. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

German blue rams are what I originally wanted, but they need a higher temperature, and when I raised my temperature I started having issues with fish dying off, and the only thing I could attribute it to was the temperature increase because nothing else had changed in the tank.
    So that's why I'm looking for something else.
    The honey gourami is now definitely an option.
    I used to have a pair of Dwarf gourami but they died very soon after I got them. I think it was the stress of being in a new tank because when I bought them they were actually in the process of being acclimated to the display tank at the lfs.

A new day likes this.
  20. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

So I got a second hand canister filter from my uncle yesterday, it's a teratec ex600. It's quite old I think, but he never used it, all the parts were still in their packaging. So I set it up yesterday and so far no leaks or issues, just a little bit loud but if I close my bedroom door it isn't such an issue. I'm also running it with the filter that was already in the tank, I read you should do that to give the new filter a chance to develop bacteria in it.

21. OP
    T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Spent the day on my 30l tank.
    It's all cloudy at the moment so I'll post a picture again later on when it clears up. Might also move things around and after lockdown maybe I'll get different plants but I'll see when that time comes
    IMG_20200328_174512.jpg

Whoknows and A new day like this.

Recent Posts