Very new... To fishkeeping

Discussion in 'New members' started by BradK, Nov 18, 2018.

1. OP
    BradK

BradK

So it's been an hour 15 mins since I used the silicon. The instructions says it will dry in an hour and cure in 24....

Is it safe to put the lid back on. I can give it another 30 mins. The led lights are stuck fast already.

2. Guest

3. OP
    BradK

BradK

Hi Guys

So I finally got my tank up. Its half way there, so much more to do. Thanks you to every one who helped me with my crazy questions. :) and suggestions.

So this what i did. Everything was done on a budget, the financial adviser was on my case. lmao.
    Second hand 3 foot
    1 aquaclear 30
    1 Elit jetflo 100
    1 100w heater
    1 200w heater
    PFS
    Plastic plants

I have alot of fish and i know most of you guys will say overstocked, aqua advisor says that too. But i got some Freebies from my cousin and i could not say no. I have mostly juveniles and the tank looks space,i stick my two foot tank somewhere, in the next week or so ill be moving some there. For now Im comfortable doing weekly water changes and I got things under control.

1 Blue Gourami
    1 Common Pleco 4, 5 cm
    4 Tiger Barbs
    5 Serpae tetra
    9 Neon tetra
    4 Flame Tetra
    2 Angels
    4 Sailfin Mollies

I dnt have much aggression and fin nipping. The Tiger barbs and Serpae Tetras mostly chase themselves around like crazy. Sometimes they do want to nip at the angel but nothing aggressive , rather playful.

Things to do in the next month or so
    Ordering another aqauclear 50/70
    Buy some gravel
    Buying alot of easy to care plants jungle val etc and fertilzer tabs. I really want to create a jungle in my tank :)
    A good quality light. For now im using 3 x 3w led light the very bright and a blue led tube that came with the tank.

Fish I like to get, depending if i have space and what fish i can swap out and move out

Panda cory
    Or Adolfoi cory I know aguy who has these, a little pricy)
    Torpedo Barb/ Denison Barb (Also expensive)

This is my 1m piece of heaven, allocated by the wife , lmao. The roof is currently off, I was fitting the lights. This is withthe room light on. I dnt think this tank will last very long. I need abigger tank because i have so many favorite fish hehe. So for now this has to do. Cant wait to get rid of those plastic plants.

20190110_182031.jpg

4. OP
    BradK

BradK

20190110_193451.jpg

Are the lights too bright. I'm thinking of removing one and using two only.

And how can I remove scratches in the outside?

5. OP
    BradK

BradK

Guys I want to add this gravel to the Pfs. Thumbs up thumbs down.
    b77f8890-80f6-4c0f-933d-cc0802b3267d.jpg

Stephan Liebenberg likes this.
  6. Stephan Liebenberg

Stephan Liebenberg Chief McGill

Hi

Your tank looks great.

I Think that's a good natural looking gravel to add, just make sure it's safe by adding a bit of vinegar (make sure to cover all the types of rock) remember 'fiz no vis' (my little rhyme to remember that if it fizzles its not good for the fishes.)
    P. S. I'm assuming this is not gravel from your LFS, cause if it is then there's no need to do the test.

As for the light - it's hard to say if it's too bright from a picture, possibly for now, since there's no actual plants in there, the light will only spur algea growth, so I would turn most of them off, but once you have plants then it becomes a balancing game of how much and how long it stays on.

Doubt this will help much but I have a 90l fluval tank that is quite high, with a single high light led bar (came with tank) I only have it on for 4hrs of the day.

Regards
    S.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

BradK likes this.
  7. OP
    BradK

BradK

Guys I witnessed something very troubling. The pleco had one of Serpae Tetras in its mouth. I had the light off for a while and when I put it on i noticed i couldn't find the one of them. I just noticed the pleco was hiding behind the rocks and when i checked closely, it was eating the the dead fish. Not sure how the fish died. Will test water tmrw. Nothing seems out of the ordinary .

Will the pleco hunt a nearby fish? The pleco eats enough... I feed flakes and tropical bits. Which I see it eating all the time. Should I be concerned or did the pleco just eat a dead fish. This hobby gets more and more interesting.

8. OP
    BradK

BradK

I'll.post pics tmrw. But I dropped the voltage on the power supply to 7 5 volts. The light dimmed and looks better. When I add the plants....I'll increase or decrease as needed.

I'm buying from a pet store.....i assumed it will be safe. Should I still test.

9. Stephan Liebenberg

Stephan Liebenberg Chief McGill

No need to test the gravel then.

I've never heard of a hunting pleco, fairly sure he ate a dead one, Infact my plecos don't even eat the dead ones. Unless it is not getting enough food, it might eat.
    Regardless, with high stocking and a newly set up tank, my guess will be ammonia spike, may be good to test it quickly.

If it is amonia do a large water change with declorinated water (if you don't use declorinated water you will switch from amonia burn, to chlorine burn) not good.

Be carefull not to react too quickly though, it could just be stress that killed it, in which case making changes would only further stress other fish.

Hope all is well in the morn.
    Regards
    S.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

10. OP
    BradK

BradK

Yup not to concerned about water. I treated as usual. But had my fish in a bucket for a day...could be stress. I'll test tmrw.

I want to start feeding g the pleco cucumber. How do u prepare it

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@BradK ,

Well done, the tank looks great

Yes, it is a lot of fish but they all very small except for the Gourami and the sailfin mollies so for now I think you 'should' be ok
    Long term, the angels will get fairly big.. and the 3ft will probably be a bit small but see how it goes

The one fish I would let go as like.. right now.. is the common pleco
    He will get huge and grows fairly quickly and he adds loads of bioload to the tank which with all due respect s not very big
    Everyone takes them while small as they think its cute, once he gets to 20cm... no one or very few will want to take it off you.. its just not worth it and like I said, he will place a lot of strain on your water quality

As for the pleco killing other fish, they dont kill with the intention to kill but the are known to sometimes suck the slime coat of other fish and this can cause the fish to die
    Im not saying it is what happened as it could be something else that killed the fish, Im just answering the question "can a pleco kill other fish'
    That is one reason why we dont keep plecos with stingrays.
    Catfish like the corries you want to get, dont do that

I know you say water is fine an you dont mind and are doing water changes, but personally I would get a small bottle of Seachem Stability and dose the tank for a week while it is cycling.. it really works and takes the stress of a new setup off the fish.
    A small bottle will do that tank with ease and its peace of mind

As for eating dead fish, most or all fsh will eat dead fish and the plecos are no exception
    This being said, im not saying that all of them will but its nature and some will

Let him go and get little corries, they adorable, stay small and dont harm anyone.. just my advice from experience

12. OP
    BradK

BradK

Thank you...
    I'm currently dosing with Stability. The pleco was given to me by my Cuz. I'll probably give it back. He has the space for it. Yes it makes alot of waste. Lol.

As for Angel's , I dnt plan on staying with a 3 foot. Just dnt let the wife hear that. Seriously I'll be looking for something bigger , its getting bad now this itch.

MariaS likes this.
  13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Great, if you are dosing Stability, you should be ok.
    Its worked for us with very sensitive fish and we have never lost a fish if we use it

Yep... best is rather give the pleco back
    Even people with the space eventually land up getting rid of theirs

A 1.5m is awesome with a school of Angels and there are stunning ones available...
    Hahha... the itch or MTS is bad news....
    You just need to work on the wife falling in love with a particular fish and that's half the battle won!!

14. OP
    BradK

BradK

Will work on the wife. I got him to come get the pleco. He got some plastic ponds. So the fish will be cool.

I rather like places now and wish to get a nice one when I get a bigger tank.

Seachem products are growing on me. From what are read they very popular and there are a couple of things I want for my filters also. I'm not sure what better or cost effective option are available,,, but I see seachem everywhere. Thanks for all ur help.

MariaS likes this.
  15. Slade

Slade

Tanks looking awesome BradK.

(btw thank you for details for the plant guy, picking up some lovely plants today and going to spend tomorrow planting everything )

16. OP
    BradK

BradK

Thanks glad to help, that dude has some cool stuff. Can't wait to pay him a visit.

17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

If you like plecos, do a little homework as you go along
    There are some beautiful plecos you can chose from that are beautiful and stay much, much smaller than the common pleco

Seachem is undoubtedly an excellent product and is all I use
    When it come to filter media, their Matrix is brilliant but not that cheap
    If you doing a smaller filter or canister its ok but if you filling a big sump with media it will become rather expensive to use Seachem media only
    We use a combination of Matrix, ceramic rings (old and still effective) lava rock, bioballs but, the ones that are perforated and have a lot of space for bacteria to grow, they similar to K1 media

BradK likes this.
  18. OP
    BradK

BradK

Hi it's me again :thumbup:

So what's the correct temp to set my heaters at. In Durban it's really hot, so I hardly ever see the heaters come on. But without a heater the temps are around 29 ,30 degrees on the thermometer.

But whatbtemp should insert the heaters at. Someone told me now dnt set it too high as the fish will be very active and grow faster and live shorter...is this a myth, then another guy says set it at 18. The pet shop set it at 28degrees....confusing.

19. JDV

JDV

Depends on what fish you have but generally between 25 - 26. A fan blowing over the water will help getting the temps down. It it go's over 30 you can oxygen issues

20. OP
    BradK

BradK

Thanks

21. OP
    BradK

BradK

Are the sobo internal filters any good? Besides taking up space in the tank. Are they a good mechanical filter?

Recent Posts