Very new... To fishkeeping

Discussion in 'New members' started by BradK, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

I have one in my tank just to help with circulation, no complaints

2. Guest

3. Ammar

Ammar

Extra filtration never bad, i put a bag of seachem purigen (thanks @amakwa) in one of the compartment and keep my water crystal clear.

Btw, the Pfs will level out with time, i used it in my big tank does the job but you wont getvthat "hilly" look for too long.

BradK likes this.
  4. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

Pleasure bud ;)

5. OP
    BradK

BradK

I added some natural looking stones to it yesterday planning on mixing other substrate to it.. I'll see how it goes.

Ammar likes this.
  6. Ammar

Ammar

Otherwise u can do what those ada guys do, plant little dividers that stop it from leveling

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

The fish in that tank shouldnt move the PFS around too much so you can alos put smaller stones around the 'hills'.. should keep the hills in place?

Alternatevly add a stingray.. you will have a different scape of hills every day.:):):):)... Just joking but true..

BradK likes this.
  8. OP
    BradK

BradK

Stingrays.........too soon. Need to learn to take care of neons first...lol

MariaS likes this.
  9. OP
    BradK

BradK

Hi Guys

So first phase is complete. I added some real plants. And even though I dnt have the right substrate. The plants seem to come alive after a couple days. Those plants with her red leaves, was all curled up and low. After a day they straightened up. You will also see new shoots/roots after 4 days now. In just going to add root tabs. And call it a day for now.

Also I only know the name of two plants there. The jungle val and the Amazon sword. Could you guys identify the others. Dnt worry about the 2 plastic plants. Until get more val, I used it to just cover the back for now.20190119_135045-01.jpeg

Slade likes this.
  10. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

If that is mondo grass - keep an eye on it, since it is not aquatic and will foul the water. Nice development .. for PFS you can always add some root tabs.

Later Ferdie

11. OP
    BradK

BradK

Cool will do. I bought it from a pet supplier..who is growing it in his ponds. Mmmm.....will keep an eye on it.

12. OP
    BradK

BradK

Guy need some info. I want to start little project for outside. I got some space between the shed and house. It gets sun like 2,3 hours a day. It's a 1 x4 meter space. I'm doing a little garden there. I want to put the 2 foot tank and throw in guppies. No filter, no heater. I want to know what's that household plant that I can grow from inside the aquarium to outside the aquarium. Also what diy substate can in use to grow plants in the tank.

13. Bart

Bart

@BradK . Awesome idea maybe start it without guppies. The reason is winter is close and the temp in your tank will fall a lot during the night and some of the guppies may not make it. Arum Lilies (vark ore) works very well in water, but only the white ones and they look pretty just make sure the leaves are out of the water when planting. Potting soil with sand over it would work. Just remove the solid pieces, it will brown up but will settle a put, but will still be brown and plants will love it. Maybe try small fish that can take the cold during the winter, or install an heater for the guppies.
    Hope it helps.

14. Slade

Slade

he he I like that idea too, pro's to not renting I guess ;) @Bart, Durban winters are like a dryer summer here :lol: less humid but still pretty warm:

upload_2019-1-26_11-36-5.png

but still, I'd still add a heater... pushing limits, they might survive but theres always risk to health.

Innocent159 likes this.
  15. OP
    BradK

BradK

Cool thanks guys. I can easily throw in a heater there. Got power close. Potting soil topped with pfs?

Slade likes this.
  16. Bart

Bart

hahahaha my Bad @Slade , Was thinking of JHB. Now i see the location. Guppies would do just fine with those temps and the population will explode in now time. you only need one cold front o_O. Like slade said just to make sure.

Slade likes this.
  17. Bart

Bart

18. OP
    BradK

BradK

Durban is hot...my themed sit at 26 to 28 with no heater. The heaters just dnt come on. But we have that one or two cold weekends. So will have the heaters available. I know guys with fish outside that dnt have any heaters and the fish are thriving.

Slade likes this.
  19. Slade

Slade

Yeh, it's bad here that heat wave about 2 weeks back my tank peeked 30, so I had fans on and lid off... my poor fish were all at the top inch of the tank. I actually felt more bad for them than for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

20. OP
    BradK

BradK

I seen my fish do that once, I threw in the air stone...
    I'm considering mounting a pc fan on my kids. But I hate noise and vibration. And that's a nother source of noise.

21. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Nice setup. Question, though. How do the Serpae Tetras behave in your aquarium? I had a shoal of five and swapped them for the neons because they were very bad fin nippers.

Recent Posts