warning on tap water

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by top dog, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Toy

Toy

Best not to use Prime and AmGuard at the same time, the false reading of prime will stop once the bound ammonium is absorbed by the bacteria or plants.

According to Seachem "Ammonia can exist in two forms: free and ionized. It is only the free form that is toxic. Traditional ammonia test kits convert all ammonia to free ammonia by raising pH to 12–14; at this pH AmGuard™ cannot function and thus a false positive reading will result."

I had a similar situation with one of my tanks when all the bacteria were killed and the tank crashed. The first day or two I also double dosed (Prime and AmGuard) and the readings showed no change, only after I consulted the support forum, treated the cycling tank with only AmGuard and Stability for about a week, the ammonia readings was back to zero. The fish were behaving normal and calm while treating with AmGuard, the false positive readings were driving me crazy though xD

Remember that "AmGuard™ does not remove ammonia from the system. It simply binds ammonia making it harmless to the inhabitants and still bioavailable to the beneficial bacteria".

It may therefor be a good idea to re-cycle your tank since the high levels of chloramines may have killed most of the beneficial bacteria, The high ammonia readings will return after a few days if there is nothing to consume the ammonium.

Invest in some fast growing plants (example hornwort), add some bio-media from a tank which has already cycled.

Since the tap water has high levels of chloramines, which adds free ammonia when dechlorinated, frequent water changes during the AmGuard treatment and cycling of the tank will only add additional ammonia.

The following video helped to clear things up for me:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    FMN716 likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    top dog

top dog

hey guy
    update got home last night ammonia level in flown bin 0.2 at 18:00 and ph7.7
    this morning at 0.1 at 6:15 with ph7.7
    ray tank sitting ammonia 0.05 ph8
    have build a far larger filter just need a few supplies for the base and pvc glue to dry
    will post pictures once up and running.
    thank you for all help and feed back so far, wish i had more time to do this but work sadly has to come first

David Kusner and A new day like this.
  4. necris

necris

well here's a nasty from PE side, seems the vaalies arent the only ones battling with parameters, the entire ec water department is too

SMELLY WATER

Good day Residents

Please see explanation below and we quote:

"Nooitgedagt received a batch of raw water containing algae and the process of treatment and disinfection during these conditions

result in the earthy taste that is reported.

Geosmin is the common chemical compound that usually creates this taste/smell. This is naturally occurring and is the same chemical that causes the earthy smell after rains.

We are currently sending samples to an independent laboratory for additional testing, our lab has been contacted and there was no concerns raised with the latest samples taken Monday.

As a mitigation we are currently exploring different disinfection technologies at Nooitgedagt which would prevent this from occurring. "unquote"

Chandre Barnard

Acting Director: Water Management & Bulk Supply

Civil Engineering Technologist

5. OP
    top dog

top dog

that is far more positive than anything i have received from rand water
    according to people i have spoken too
    ammonia levels in water currently is not something that is tested for
    if i want clean water best to drill a borehole

6. necris

necris

Wow that's crazy, just not even considered

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

7. FMN716

FMN716 Back in the GAME!!!

luckily for me I have a small tank, I think I am just going to go RO and add some additives in the future nice thing about RO water is that you know it will be stable and safe and algae doesnt grow as easily

8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Been following this thread which I'd pretty scary
    I was never very good in chemistry and physics so please forgive me if I'm wrong
    Ok.. we all looking at various products that bind ammonia for a certain period of time like Amguard... Prime etc... which is obviously not a solution
    On the other hand Zeolite absorbs ammonia... it does not convert it into some form that last so many hours so... would the answer to the problem not be a zeolite filter system that absorbs ammonia as the water is filtered?
    Obviously the zeolite would have to be reactivated or replaced as needed?
    And the correct amount of zeolite versus flow of water through it would have to be used
    @f-fish ... I know you a lot into filtration.....
    Your 10 cents?

9. OP
    top dog

top dog

@MariaS at this point i am just trying to get ammonia free water, not sure how long the zeolight will take to become full of ammonia. have not gone to the steps of calculating what .6ppm of ammonia is in a gram value or how much grams of ammonia a kg of zeolight can hold, this is homework for the weekend.
    was hoping it would work quicker in truth, so going super sized this afternoon.
    will hopefully have a plan for a proper usable and sustainable option soon but have had a few teething problems

RO and buffering water starting to look like most realistic soulution

MariaS likes this.
  10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I understand the short term urgency and maybe RO is the solution for now
    Is the tank still reading positive for ammonia after all the zeolite you added?
    Just curious

top dog likes this.
  11. FMN716

from what I have seen that prime lasts longer than 24 hours and recon its going to hold for a week to lower the ammonia then prime should be sufficient was of doing things but you will probably have to go with a 70% water change to be effective

This is my plan:
    *Put in AmGuard 24 Hours before water change
    *Dose my tap water with prime 4 drops per 5l
    *Feed my fish every 2 days
    *Feed my fish 2 hours before water change
    *Dont clean my filter on the same day as my water change do it 3 days before
    *Water Change 60-70percent
    *Use a gravel vac and use my diy polisher to remove any debree that got left over
    *Inspect for any food stuck in decor and remove
    *Remove any dead plant material

I really think this will help out and if the fish get too stressed I will add Seachem Stress guard to help them

So my tank water is around 0.5ppm of ammonia and prime which lasts treated water dropped my tap water between 0.05-0.1ppm of ammonia

12. Minerva10210

Minerva10210

Following this thread with interest as a newbie to the hobby.

Anyone in Centurion do similar tests recently? I know there were some issues with Rand water reducing pressure to quite a large amount of reservoirs a week or two ago, which caused some of the higher laying areas to be without water even, so sounds similar to the issue in your area?

As mentioned, I'm still new to the hobby, but have lost a few fish in the last week or two as well, and would like to know whether it is something I did wrong, or if I may be impacted by something similar.

Lastly, any links related to water testing and the like for a newbie?

13. Pezulu

Pezulu Comp Coordinator

I haven't tested the Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate in a while, as the nitrogen cycle, together with plants normally takes care of those.

The pH out of the tap is usually in the region of about 8.5.
    This is considerably higher than it was about 2 years ago, when the tap water usually had a neutral pH of 7.0
    Perhaps Rand Water are adding more buffering agents to the water that is generally very polluted as it comes out of the Vaal river.
    At times you can smell chlorine as the water comes out of the tap. When I smell that, I double dose the amount of Prime I use.

All my fish have adapted well to the higher pH, and I usually add 1ml of Seachem Prime to each 15L bucket of water that I prepare for water changes.

I add the Prime to the bottom of the bucket, fill the bucket at the bath taps, and pour the water into my tanks slowly.
    The Prime has the time from water entering the bucket to water being poured out of the bucket, to do its thing.
    I have been following the same regimen for at least 9 years now, and have never had any issues.

You could take a sample of your tank water to Dory's Pets and ask them to test the water for you.
    Personally, I would just keep up with regular tank maintenance, and only act if you have serious issues suddenly cropping up.

Minerva10210 and MariaS like this.
  14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Minerva10210
    I agree with @Pezulu
    Not sure how long your tank had been running but being a new tank, I would take a sample of tank water to lfs
    Some charge like R20 others dont charge at all, and let them check that your tank is fully cycled
    If so remember to never add too many fish in one go especially if it's a small tank
    You can also have some stability at home and add a little when adding more fish

15. A new day

A new day

Hi @Minerva10210 you asked for links related to water testing, some folks offered opinions here:
    https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/water-testing-kits-product-reviews.33041/

16. FMN716

From speaking to various people, this site and pet shops I have come to the conclusion that this is a an issue in Gauteng probably due to no rain and the water quality we are getting is not the greatest. Here in the East we had water outages due to broken pipes and a few days I had seen mercy water so I sure they were pumping it with meds. I think for new tank owners like myself I am sure the quality of the water has gone down and since our tanks aren’t that well established like other tanks that’s why we are struggling with these deaths

I watch Cory from aquarium co-op and he did a test with tetra test strips vs api liquid kit and the results were the same only issue with the tests strips were that the reading weren’t that exact. I have these strips and they work great quick and easy and like Cory says most shops probably use strips and they have no issues. Tetra also have a free app that works with the test strips so you can compare both results. Although I don’t trust the app. I also bought a JBL NH4 kit which measures the ammonia

So basically I can test for the following with these 2 kits
    Ammonia
    Ph
    Chlorine
    Carbon Hardness
    General Hardness
    Nitrate
    Nitrite

If I recall I paid under R800 for both

I find the test strips to be great as the liquid kits can be a pain

Hope this helps it’s just from my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Toy

Toy

I'm also using test strips, readings are accurate enough.

I cut all the strips in half (across the length), strips work fine but I get double for my money xD

T. Guppy likes this.
  18. FMN716

Which test strips do you use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

It is not raining, I am not doing BIG WC at the moment, if you have a well planted tank then the little extra ammonia on a WC is OK if you are doing a WC in the morning before lights on. I am also not running CO2 but big aeration. So that with all the good bacteria in the tank should take care of any tap born ammonia that gets past the counter top filter that gets used for top-up water and WC when I do do them.

If you are worried about the water quality form your utility, then do more frequent smaller WC's ... and give the tank time to recover if something is dodge.

Remember to smell your tanks .. a hint of green grass nothing heavier than that.

Unless you have super sensitive fish that have not adapted to life in africa ... I would not mess with additives to chaise an idea parameter, rather a stable water column vs a rodeo show.

Later Ferdie

MariaS and necris like this.
  20. Pezulu

Pezulu Comp Coordinator

Agree with @f-fish
    Stable water parameters are more important than some ideally numbered statistics.
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.

top dog and Barry Roux like this.
  21. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Better filter it in a separate tank with an algae scrubber ? Maybe it is time we treat water like anything else you add to a tank ... QT it ?

Later Ferdie

top dog and JD Venter like this.

Recent Posts