Warning to Fishkeepers - Giant Fish for Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SalmonAfrica, Oct 4, 2009.

1. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@Saturn these fish are normally kept in big ponds in countries where the weather is right.
    images (80).jpeg

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I think this has happened to so many people... and it is sad that LFS owners don't take more care in informing customers correctly

However, I also have to say that, old timers like you and I had no choice sometimes but to rely on the LFS owners to give you the correct info
    There was no Google back along the years and comprehensive books were not always readily available in SA

At the risk of being slaughtered here...In today's times.. Im sorry... but there is no excuse for people to by monsters unaware unless you actually don't care very much
    We all know there are poodles and great danes.. same with fish and any other animal
    Everyone in today's times has a cell phone...internet.. google.. facebook.. you name it on their phone which they know very well howto use
    It takes 2 minutes to google a fish up before you tell the LFS to bag it.... why are people not doing that... I just cant understand it...

Tomorrow when told they have bought a monster, everyone blames the LFS which is true to a certain extent but.... what about responsible pet ownership? Does that not count?

I have also found many, many times that people knew exactly what they were doing and the mind set is... I will enjoy it while I can and then get rid of it..

4. top dog

top dog

could not agree more, you by fish you are responsible to care fore it. failure to do research is and just buying cause it is pretty is always going to result is disasters. part of me really feels like we unrealistic expectations of pet shop staff, If i walked into woolworths i do not expect the staff to have detailed information on how i should wash my new clothes or how to prepare the roast i buy.
    i do feel that manager of the petshop should have a really decent understanding of the fishes potential size and temperament.
    keeps me awake at night wonder what happens to boat load of silver aro, redtail cat and highfin sharks you see every time i walk into a shop.

lastly I hate part of the hobby where guys are trying to sell 4 50cm redtail cats for some dumb figure that he has housed in a 4 foot tank. It makes me f#$%ing mal for lack of better words. i get offered free fish quite often as i have few large tanks. people are always shocked when i say no thank you, they do not understand that i took time and effort to stock my tanks with fish i want and can comfortably house, so why would i want some huge random monster that is too large already for my tanks, why must i take responsibility for someone else stupidity

5. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@MariaS @top dog yes no one in there right mind would take one of our local babers and put it in a 4ft, so why they do it with other cats and large fishes is beyond me.

Pierré Schoonraad and Hendre like this.
  6. top dog

top dog

sorry read what i posted and it came out a bit harsher than i ment it too.
    i do not mean anything against anyone personally, but really feel we as the aquaruim community need to be better educated, end of the day we decide what fish the stores stock. no one buys the fish they will no longer be stocked.
    I am guilty of buying many fish stupidly in the past, and i am also a contributor to the problem buy selling fish that are far to aggressive and large for most people

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

The truth sometimes might sound harsh to some but I don't think you were harsh.. what you stated are the facts
    I love helping and sharing with people.. sometimes Im told I talk too much... and yes, if you selling pets you should have some good knowledge to share and help people but the fact still remains that as the new pet owner you also have a duty to enlighten yourself on what you doing

Whenever I get shown a nice fish, I actually get laughed at because everyone knows what my first question will be... how big will it get? How aggressive is it?
    Now I get told straight away.. no you cant have one Mom or.. it will be ok in your tank..

There is nothing wrong with loving exotic fish, but you get monsters and you get MONSTERS so if you do your homework you can still have some nice monsters that can be housed in a large tank (if you can afford one) without being tank breakers.

8. David Kusner

David Kusner

Also I find you can swop or give away a big monster to a pet shop and come back the next day and find your monster is been sold for R800+ Many years ago I had to give up one of my oscars, my tank was simply not big enough and I felt it was not right to have a big fish like that in a cramp space. I cannot recall where I took it to, it may have been in fourways at the time, anyhow a week later I went back and they had it in a display tank with a R1200 price tag and that was at least 20 years ago.

ancistrus likes this.
  9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Nobody will ask for contraceptive advise from a shop assistant at a petrol station - and people are willing to purchase condoms from such a store, yet they are willing to ask for advice at a LFS about products the LFS sells. Consider that the goal of the petrol station kiosk and the LFS is the same ...

Later Ferdie

top dog likes this.
  10. BradK

BradK

Lfs,, lie. And from experience, I was given a common pleco, lol. With all the excitement of being new in the hobby, even though I have the info at my finger tips, u just go with what that " experienced guy is telling you. Only later to find out the truth.

I gave away that pleco to a guy with a pond. I'm on the hunt for a small pleco species.

11. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Try looking for a Bristle Nose Plec
    They should be relatively easy to find.

12. David Kusner

David Kusner

Let me know when you find some. Over the years its been hit and miss, with common pecos. The first one I had grew to giant size and I had to give it away. The second grew to a manageable size for the size tank it was in, but sadly died after 5 years. The third one is my current one and is till manageable in the current tank. I am hoping he does not grow any bigger. The 2 babies I recently got for the tank at the office are tiny, but I notices they have grown quite a bit in the last 3 weeks. (only had them for a month) so I am hoping they dont become giants. (I must say though between the 2 of them, they cleaned the little tank, better than my pool cleaner could ever clean my pool)LOL20190131_175416.jpg

13. BradK

BradK

The guys were saying that you should stay away from these common pleco. And it's on a blacklist,,,

I'm trying to get anything but a common pleco.

MariaS likes this.
  14. OP
    SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

If you're working by the old wives tale that "a fish will grow to the size of its tank", well, that's only half true.

Given a proper diet and a clean environment, most fish will attain a size well within reach of their maximum. However, in a small tank space, this isn't always the case. As you have experienced yourself, cramped fish may attain a fraction of their potential life span, as well as experiencing some growth deformities. The latter isn't always obvious; some problems manifest internally, and typically don't receive diagnosis even after the fish dies prematurely.

Like said above, you've got to stop trying with the common plecos. Either they'll outgrow you, or they'll suffer for it. Rather than hoping that the fish will stay within a reasonable size limit for the tank, rather look for a species that can comfortably reach its full size in the tank you have. It's a win-win for everyone.

Cheers,

Reedfish and Cesar like this.

Recent Posts